Can anyone tell me what type of fish this is? Surely not a pihrana?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by SarahD1988, Aug 7, 2014.

1. SarahD1988

SarahD1988Valued MemberMember

So I was given this 200l fish tank on the condition I kept its inhabitants. I'm pretty sure the others are your average gouramis and a silver shark. However, I don't know about this one? He's about the size of the heel of your hand. He has the underbite and hunch back of a pihrana aswell as a swollen chest. I can't see in his mouth, there's deffinately something in his bottom lip but I don't know if I'm seeing what's fitting. Surely it's not a pihrana? I asked him if he knew what the fish were but he said no. Any guesses?

2. OP
    OP
    SarahD1988

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  3. safzola

safzolaWell Known MemberMember

no way is that a piranha i had 5 from tiny until they were huge red belly piranha they are not so dont worry

4. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Looks like a red tail tin foil barb to me, what are the black marks on its body?

5. OP
    OP
    SarahD1988

I don't know? Just like black stripes. Barb sounds fitting but thought they were more rounded?
    yep I'm sure it's not a red belly :) but I understand there are lots of types x

6. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I'm almost certain it's a red tail tin foil except for that black line, it almost looks like its been tattoed can you get a clearer pic?

7. OP
    OP
    SarahD1988

Yea it does look a bit like that. They are like tiger stripes, and different on both sides. It isn't like the shape of a barb tho. Like a weird cross? But that's not possible right? Not with a tiger barb?

8. TheCoolFish

TheCoolFishValued MemberMember

Could be a barb or tetra

Cheese is good but cichlids are cooler!

9. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Sorry but that looks nothing like a barb. Its a tetra similar to the Columbian tetra (not sure on species, but definitely Hyphessobrycon or similar).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  10. MamajinWell Known MemberMember

I want to say its a Columbian Tetra but those black markings are odd. Could be a natural deformity, although hard to honestly say.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice