Can anyone tell me what type of fish this is? Surely not a pihrana?

1. SarahD1988

SarahD1988 Valued Member Member

So I was given this 200l fish tank on the condition I kept its inhabitants. I'm pretty sure the others are your average gouramis and a silver shark. However, I don't know about this one? He's about the size of the heel of your hand. He has the underbite and hunch back of a pihrana aswell as a swollen chest. I can't see in his mouth, there's deffinately something in his bottom lip but I don't know if I'm seeing what's fitting. Surely it's not a pihrana? I asked him if he knew what the fish were but he said no. Any guesses?

2. OP
    OP
    SarahD1988

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. safzola

safzola Well Known Member Member

no way is that a piranha i had 5 from tiny until they were huge red belly piranha they are not so dont worry

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Looks like a red tail tin foil barb to me, what are the black marks on its body?

5. OP
    OP
    SarahD1988

I don't know? Just like black stripes. Barb sounds fitting but thought they were more rounded?
    yep I'm sure it's not a red belly :) but I understand there are lots of types x

6. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

7. OP
    OP
    SarahD1988

Yea it does look a bit like that. They are like tiger stripes, and different on both sides. It isn't like the shape of a barb tho. Like a weird cross? But that's not possible right? Not with a tiger barb?

8. TheCoolFish

TheCoolFish Valued Member Member

Could be a barb or tetra

Cheese is good but cichlids are cooler!

9. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Sorry but that looks nothing like a barb. Its a tetra similar to the Columbian tetra (not sure on species, but definitely Hyphessobrycon or similar).

10. M

Mamajin Well Known Member Member

I want to say its a Columbian Tetra but those black markings are odd. Could be a natural deformity, although hard to honestly say.