Can Anyone Tell Me What This Little Creature Is?

1. ToRo Member Member

I seem to be finding these in my tank now after getting some new plants. They are minute (a little smaller than the end of pencil lead) stuck to plants, the glass and feel like they have kind of a shell (maybe ) They don't move like a snail, but faster. I'm afraid they will multiply and wondering how to get rid of them, or will the fish eat them? Are they a detriment to the tank?

Attached Files:

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

those are snails, they most likely came with your plants. very hard to get rid, what fish do you have

3. ToRo Member Member

Green fire and neon tetras. BN pleco, shrimp and nerite snail

They kind of flutter through the water (the pict was of one I caught and put in a glass) not crawl like snails....

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

5. Keystone Member Member

Guessing that if they are free swimmers that they are ostracods aka "seed shrimp". Do a Google images search and compare the results. They are harmless, but can reproduce rapidly in the right conditions

6. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

That is a snail, im 110% sure. I can see their antenna and their shell. Mine also fly around the current from time to time, but that is definitely a snail.

7. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

I'd even pin that down a bit further and say you have your self a bladder snail. They can, will and often do float themselves in the water to go up or down and quickly get where they want to go. If you don't want 1000 of snails about half the size of a dime once grown in your tank I'd recommend exterminating them. By the size you are seeing them now, they are likely already breeding.

I would think ostracod if it weren't for the clear antenna and spiral point in that photo. And the shell being reversed with the opening to the right rather than left also indicates bladder snail.

Many methods of extermination. Personally, I recommend assassins, less stress and they don't die when the pest snails are gone and they breed painfully slowly so they really aren't going to over populate your tank.

8. ToRo Member Member

9. BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

I have heard some people say they will. They might also breed too.

10. ToRo Member Member

Thank you all for your comments :). I will work at getting them removed!

11. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

The first assassin I put in a tank ever beelined straight for a golf ball sized mystery snail and attacked it.... So yes I would say although nerite may not be a preferred food, they are potentially food and may be attacked by the assassins yes

12. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Seed Shrimp/Ostracods also have antennae, and they are free swimming, darting around very fast. That is an Ostracod. I'm quite certain of that. A snail getting blown around in a current does not look like it is swimming.

13. Xander Well Known Member Member

I also agree that it's a bladder snail. Ostracods appear to look more like bloated fleas. This picture just doesn't match up with what I'm seeing in an image search.

14. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

You are right that they have antenna too but if you look at the bottom of the "creature" it looks like the typical pointy and brownish ending of a bladder's snail shell, at least to me.