Can anyone tell me if my balloon moly is pregnant

1. L

Lildreamer New Member Member

I bought her from the pet store about 2 weeks ago and I thought that they are supposed to look like this but then I realized she looks quite a bit rounder than my friends.
    I have a photo but I'm not sure how to post it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Sorry, I don't know enough about ballon mollies to be able to tell if one is pregnant. But at least my post will bump you back up to the top, and hopefully someone will answer soon.

3. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

How often do you feed your fish? And what? Try feeding a pea.

4. OP
    OP
    L

Also I feed them tetra smart tropical flakes and occasionally blood worms

5. OP
    OP
    L

I feed them twice a day only what they can eat in 1 minute. She is pooping normal and acting fine.what does feeding peas do? Are they frozen? Do I mash it first? And is it OK for all of my fish? Sorry about all of the questions I'm just new to this so I want to make sure.

6. SnarkyXTS

SnarkyXTS Valued Member Member

She looks pregnant to me but since balloon mollies are bred to be this shape it s hard to be 100% sure. If you look at her from above and her belly is bulging out then I'd say she's pregnant bcuz that's I could tell on my balloon mollies. Mine never showed gravid spots even though they are both white/light colored. They will be a little bit boxy but not as much as regular mollies.
    Feeding peas is good for when they are constipated or bloated but dice u said she's pooping normally (not whitish/clearish stringy poo) then I'd say she's pregnant. Best of luck with you balloon Molly, the fry come out a decent size (much larger than other livebearer fry).

7. musserump09

1. Peas will give your fish fiber and allow them to poop better and make her stomach go down. My fish go crazy for peas! I heat frozen peas in the microwave long enough till they are hot. Cutting them will help them eat.
    2. Stop feeding them for 5 days. I did this to introduce the pea for the first time and they went crazy for it!
    3. Have you test the water? I would like to know your water perimeters please.
    4. Are her scales out or dose she look pinecone like?

8. OP
    OP
    L

Thanks for the input I will give them some peas :)

Scales do not look pineconed out I have the 5 in 1 test straps I will try to post a picture of what they are. I have a 38 gallon bow front tank with 1 plattys
    2 female mollies 1 Cory cat and 1 pictus cat

9. musserump09

I would recommend getting API liquid test. it will give you the TRUE readings. strips are hard to read and not as accurate. I have done both and notice a huge difference.

10. OP
    OP
    L

11. musserump09

Beautiful tank! Readings look great. Its worth it. Save you money on strips.

12. OP
    OP
    L

Thank you. And I will definitely be buying the kit next week :)