Can anyone sex these Firemouths?

Bigtunamtl

Hello.

I purchased two Firemouths at my LFS today. Both are approximately 2.5". One has slightly more pointed dorsal and analfins with slightly better color, though the differences are not major. We couldn't sex them with certainty at the LFS.

Couple more pictures.

Good shot of the two of them near eachother.

chromedome52

I doubt anyone can sex them at this stage, as they are still quite small. And those pictures are not close enough to see the key points one would look for in determining sex, even if they were old enough to have differences.

Bigtunamtl

chromedome52 said:
I doubt anyone can sex them at this stage, as they are still quite small. And those pictures are not close enough to see the key points one would look for in determining sex, even if they were old enough to have differences.
I think the finnage is pretty apparent in the last picture, but I too was not able to sex them so was hoping maybe someone else could.

CichlidJynx

So they’re really small but what your looking for is the male to have an elongated dorsal fin coming to a point. The female (smaller of the two) will have a rounded dorsal. Here’s my male and female.

2662AC05-7A9A-456B-983E-36BB34BF6CAB.jpeg

E5B07B76-C525-44C7-B723-F580A805BF98.jpeg

Latest threads

Top Bottom