Can anyone recommend an interesting tropical fish!? Help

1. binskiboi Member Member

Hi, I know there is a thread kinda like this for a 13 gallon but im asking about my 35 gallon, or possibly my 10 gallon too if it doesnt look too crowded! I was thinking maybe an angel? I would LOVE an oscar but i know thats out of the question :(. I was thinking getting a red rainbow perhaps? I'm looking for a good fish that will catch the eye well, and use it as a sort of "center piece"

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Sorry, I don't know much about the fish you have, so I couldn't recommend anything reliably.

I wonder if the tigers would nip an angel? Idk...

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hello,

Hmmmm.....Anglefish would be ify as you have Tiger Barbs, can be nippy guys.

As for the Red Rainbow, are you talking about the Rainbow Shark or the shoaling Rainbow fish? lol

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if you are talking about your current 35g in your info, other than a few more barbs, id say you are stocked...with barbs and a blue gourami, an angel would make the playground miserable IMO..

i agree no oscar...hes too big ....rainbow sharks are more bottom dwellers...

i think the older and bigger your blue gourami gets, he/she will be the center fish

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

+1. Give your gourami some time to grow, and it will be a great centerpiece fish.

6. binskiboi Member Member

im asking about rainbow fish i alreayd have a 6" rainbow shark that stays in his little pot

7. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Ohhhh....Ok, lol! Got confused I guess. :)

8. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I say no to the gourami if you have tiger barbs. The gouramis have long flowing fins and tiger barbs are attracted to them. In a bad way

9. binskiboi Member Member

ive already had the 3 spotted gourami in with the tiger barbs for 7 months. Sorry, is my thread confusing? people seem to be getting confused lol

10. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Shawnie also. Angels and gourami's don't get along. I would add more barbs to you school and call it good. Large schools are a lot of fun to watch too!. Gourmai's can make great centerpiece fish.

11. DRock914 Member Member

I don't think people are confused, I think they are just trying to help you based on average behavior of the fish and tiger barbs are known to be fin nippers. You are lucky that yours leave the gourami alone. Maybe you could get a botia loach like a striata or a kubotai. They will always be moving and are nice looking fish and can grow up to 5 or 6 inches.

12. binskiboi Member Member

I really like the kubotai! ty ill definetely look into that one!

13. DRock914 Member Member

Let me know if you would like to see a video of how they act. I can take one maybe tomorrow for you.

14. binskiboi Member Member

that would be great!

15. DRock914 Member Member

Here's a video of my loach. It is a little blurry but you can see how he acts. This goes on all day until its time to eat them he searches around the gravel for an hour until his stomach gets fat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_zSguVuB0Q

16. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Wow those are nice, wish we had them around here. It looks like it would make a nice addition to a tank..............

17. DRock914 Member Member

Do you have any Petsmarts or Petland Discounts by you? I got mine at a Petsmart but I have seen them also at Petland Discounts

18. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

19. DRock914 Member Member

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

For some fish, swimming around franticly is a sign of happiness, though not for others. I've never kept them so I cannot attest to the happiness of your lone loach.