Can Anyone Identify Whether This Is Some Type Of Mold, Eggs Of Something Else?

1. u

ultraviolet06 New Member Member

Hello, I am new to owning my freshwater tank. Currently I have a 20 gallon tank with one betta fish, 12 neon tetras, and a few ghost shrimp. Recently I noticed this white area on one of my banana plants. I can’t tell whether these are some new eggs of some species, or mold, or even a fungus of some sort. I uploaded some photos, if anyone could help me out that would be great! Thanks!
    (Ps sorry it was hard to get good photos of it)

Attached Files:

2. Crafty Cichlid

Crafty Cichlid Valued Member Member

If it smells, it's probably a bacterial colony. I don't know much about banana plant, but as with most plants in and out of the water, ruthless pruning of all but the most perfect, blemish free parts of the plant, usually goes a long way towards new growth, and healthy plants.

In otherwords, get your sharpest scissors, or a razor blade and remove the affected parts of the plant. They're no longer serving you, the plant, or the tank, and must go.

3. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

They do that, just cut that one off.

4. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

5. DuaneV

All the tubes will eventually rot off once they have established strong roots. Sometimes they rot off early.

6. OP
    OP
    u

ultraviolet06 New Member Member

Thank you so much! I will be sure to remove it!

7. DuaneV

Youre welcome. Just cut that particular one off as it is melting. They will all do that and eventually all the "bananas" will be gone. Its where they store their nutrients while theyre growing, and once theyve shot out some nice roots (like yours has) they will start melting as they arent needed. No need to pull it out of the substrate every time it happens as youre uprooting it. That will kill it. Leave it in there, reach in and pinch it off or use scissors. Theyre one of my favorite plants, Ive been keeping them forever.