Help Can anyone identify this problem with my mollies and how to treat it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cd216513

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have issues with my mollies... Two of them have what appears to be swelling patches of their bodies, and I'm not sure what it is so I have no idea how to treat it. If you look at the pictures of the creamsicle molly, on the right side of her body is the most swollen spot. It's a darker orange than the rest of her, and it's located right between her gills and pectoral fin. It's a swollen area; that's all I know how to describe it. In the pictures you can also see a vertical white stripe cutting through the orange part. That just developed recently, she used to be all orange on the top half, like a normal creamsicle. I think this loss of coloration my be related to the swelling. She also lighter swelling on both sides of the body and top, right around the front of the dorsal fin area. Any one know what this is? She had fin rot a few weeks ago, so I think it may still be that infection... maybe it's just moved on to the body? I used melafix to treat the fin rot, but fin rot could also be fungal, correct? I don't know if I should treat with melafix or pimafix... Can anyone tell if this is bacterial, fungal, or parasitic? As you can see from the middle picture, I removed her and one of my silver lyretails (the silver appears to be developing the same thing as well). I have them in a 1.5 Hex that I normally keep my babies in... I don't think this is really enough room for them, but I have nowhere else for them... Will it be ok if I do daily water changes for them?

EDIT: The fourth picture is the first one with the areas that I'm talking about circled in red, since it's kind of hard to see in the pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

iloveengl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Goodness, the poor thing does have a bump on her. Could it be a tumor?

I'm sorry I don't know enough about fish diseases to offer much help. Just my support.

OP
C

cd216513

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the support, it's definitely better than nothing! It could be a tumor, except for the fact that it seems that something similar is appearing on my silver lyretail molly, so it seems to be spreading... The only thing I could think of is maybe it has something do with the fin rot she had. However, I've heard that fin rot could be bacterial or fungal, so I don't know what I should be treating for. I read the info on the melafix and it says it can be used with pimafix for maximum effect, so I may just order some pimafix if we can't figure out what this is, ha ha.

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I don't know how to tell whether it's a fungus or bacterial causing the problem. They've been treated with melafix and nothing has happened so far, the swelling hasn't gone down at all. I'm ordering pimafix and maracyn II. Would either of those have any likelihood of working?

Merged back to back posts.
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Could it be that this is due to an injury? I've had fish over the years that got injured that turned into a festering mess. Watch the gills closely to ensure that the infection doesn't spread.

Do you know what your water parameters are? Has there been any changes to your tank recently?

Good luck.

OP
C

cd216513

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Injury is possible, The creamsicle molly is always getting into fights with the other females. Water parameters are pretty normal, 0 on ammonia and nitrite, nitrates are 10, buffer is 90ish and total hardness is about 150 if I remember correctly. The only change is that the silver mollies (one of which is now one of the two infected fish) were added fairly recently.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
In that case, do not keep medicating unless there is an obvious infection. I'd suggest you separate the injured creamsicle until it heals. Then, rearrange the tank to mess with territory lines when you are comfortable with adding the creamsicle back to the tank.

Good luck!

OP
C

cd216513

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, well I guess I'll just keep a close eye on them then. Do you think it would be ok if I dose melafix to prevent bacterial infection from the sores or whatever they are? I believe that's how melafix is supposed to be used, and it is a natural ingredient, so it wouldn't do harm would it?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

If the fish has an injury my best recommendation is pristine water conditions. Pristine water goes such a long way to help heal boo boos. I don't recommend treatment unless a secondary infection occurs.

Ken

OP
C

cd216513

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, thanks for the tip. I woke up this morning and my silver molly's swollen patch is getting more red. I'm guessing it's starting to bleed? Should I do anything or keep watching and waiting? I can put up some pics of it this afternoon.

OP
C

cd216513

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, it's definitely getting worse... not only is it getting darker red on my silver molly, but it's also spreading. I dug up a picture from when I first noticed the discoloration on her. Both that one and a new one I took of her are attached. The creamsicle's swelling seems to be protruding from her body more than it used to and she's getting a second patch of selling on the other side of her body now.

Here are links to the original sized pictures, in case it's too hard to see the resized ones:

So what's happening to these fish and what should I do to treat them?

Attachments

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
It looks like nothing more than an injury. But, your pictures do not show the discoloration very clearly, so it is difficult to even see what's wrong.

If you haven't already, put the injured/sick fish into QT. Keep their water pristine. Feed them high quality foods, such as vegies, blood worms, brine shrimp, etc.

Only if there is an obvious infection would you want to treat. Treatment for the sake of making you feel better, does not help the situation. The same thing as not taking antibiotics when you have a common cold.

OP
C

cd216513

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well it started out as just a very small brownish area just below the dorsal fin and has now spread into a large dark red area all the way down her side. Do injuries "grow" like this? I'm just worried that it's more than an injury, the scales are sticking up in that area and everything now... I just keep seeing it get worse and it makes me think it's more than an injury... I don't want her dying on me :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 20.4%

Top Bottom