Can anyone identify this fish?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Richard, May 16, 2006.

1. RichardWell Known MemberMember

In Trinidad it's known as a Dragon Fish..near as I can tell it's part of the Reed Fish family in looks and mannerisms..it's just that I've never seen Reed Fish with dorsal fins,while this bad boy has one that runs almost the length of his body..here's what he looks like out on one of his extremely rare daytime exploring jaunts.

Attached Files:

2. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

looks like a water snake that i saw once in a lake

3. DinoFishlore VIPMember

If I am remebering correctly, this fish is a member of the goby family.
    I will see if I can find the Latin for you.

Dino

4. IsabellaFishlore VIPMember

Speaking of snakes, I recently saw a fish at my LFS that looked like a long thin water snake! I don't think I'd put my hands into the tank with a fish like this, even if it's not dangerous at all, lol. It just looks so much like a real snake, and it moves like a snake! This fish is called a "Rope Fish" - never saw it or heard of it before. Anybody knows anything about it?

5. DinoFishlore VIPMember

Rope fish are picky eatters and most do not last long in home aquaria.

Dino

6. wilsonrNew MemberMember

isint it a snake head thats what i saw them advertised as

7. teddybear22482Valued MemberMember

This is a Dragon Goby...They sell them at walmart now although I dont recomend buying fish at Walmart because noone there knows what they are talking about and I NEVER have had any luck the fish there except for a Gold Gourami that I swear will never die! Anyway, try this link.

It has great info on the Dragon Goby.

8. mrsjcc0312New MemberMember

S. American Dragon Fish ( Gobioides broussonnetii ).

The Rope fish (Erpetoichthys calabaricus ) is more like this:

I have 1 of each in seperate tanks. The Rope fish is very mild mannered and gets along with all my others. He just swims all over the tank enjoying life. He's affectionate in the way of running his body against ur hand when cleaning the tank.

My Dragon fish, aka Drago, is a hiding fish. I learned the hard way that they get over stressed and will die if they can't feel protected or hidden.

9. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Thank you for your reply. I don't know if he still has this fish since the thread is over a year old :)
    Carol

10. TomFishlore VIPMember

Dragon Goby.
    Tom

11. SabiWell Known MemberMember

Now if it was me, i'd wish i could buy it and probably will if possible!;)

12. guppiemaster892Valued MemberMember

Dragon Goby.

13. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Try Polypterus sengalus

They have them here and there are always a few dead in the tanks. I want a couple so bad but will have to research them first. Keep us posted on how they do.
    Carol

14. zeddyValued MemberMember

i have had my rope fish for 2 years they are picky eaters but are not hard to keep

15. Angela_96Well Known MemberMember

I am looking at the back of the fish and it looks like the markings of a peacock eel? Is this what it is?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice