Can anyone identify this disease?

Faye Allen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello!

I hope that someone on here can help me as I've had no luck browsing the internet...

I have a few dalmation mollys in my tropical tank, and I sit in front of it everyday to check everyone's ok while they have their dinner - on Sunday everything was fine, but on Monday morning I looked in and one of the adult black Molly's tail fin was completely gone, and her back end from her under-belly fin had turned nearly totally white! I seperated her in case she was being bitten by other fish, and now she's been in quarantine for 3 days and her tail is no different. I've been adding Melafix to the water but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Her back half is now completely hanging off, I feel so sorry for her; I am definately going to be euthanazing her in the near future as it's distressing for both of us. I can't understand what she has though!! She still has a great appetite, and is still swimming quite strongly (although obviously with no tail, with difficulty!).

Please can someone help me figure out what she might have caught? I don't want any of the others to get it

My last water test readings were (from one of the strip test kits):
ph: 7,2
Carbonate Hardeness: 6
GH: >7
N02: 0
N03: 0

Hope somebody can help me!

Faye

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Faye and Welcome to Fish Lore.

Sorry to hear about your Molly. It sounds like aggression issues for its tail to be gone over night and not something that its caught. I've never owned the Golden Loaches so I don't know what their demeanor is like.
As for the white area, does it look fluffy like a fungus?
If you can get a photo of the fish in question it might help others to help you more.

Best wishes for a full recovery,
Ken

Faye Allen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for your reply,

It's hard to describe it really - i'll try and post a photo later when I get home from work but i'll do my best now:

The other day when I put her on her own it just looked like her scales had fallen off of about an inch of her body, and I thought they would just recover if it had been some aggression in the tank, but now it literally looks like her back end has nearly completely dissolved away, so the last part of her body looks sort of like flaky cod, and and has almost completely detached from the first half of her body, also where her tail fin was it now what looks like one spiney bone sticking out.
It really isn't nice, there is no blood or anything which I thought was odd (but then I am new to keeping fish so I don't know if this would be normal...) it's just like she is pretty much half a fish now, with her other half just dead and still partly attached.

Poor little girl

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Faye,

oh...poor little fish. With half of the fish missing I don't know that any treatment is going to work. Usually a nipped fin or lost scale will heal in a week to 10 days. It's been my experience that when the tail has been nipped to the bone it usually doesn't come back. However, stranger things have happened so let's get some more responses.

I hate to bring it up but euthanasia may be something you want to consider. If you feel it's necessary, here is a link that can help you out. Let's get other responses first and let us look at your photos once you're able to post them.
Refer to post #3 in the link below:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/humane-fish-euthanasia-how.48244/

Keep us posted.
Ken

Faye Allen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Looks like euthanasia is going to be my only option now, i'm going to the Health Food store today to get some clove oil. Really not looking forward to it.

I came home from work yesterday and she is literally half a fish. The white part of her has completely become detached from her body, so she is like a swimming torso. It's horrible. Sorry I couldn't get a photo I can't find our camera.

If anyone can get in touch and let me know what it was she could've come down with so quickly i'd be grateful, so I can spot early signs in the other fish.

Thanks for you replies, Ken.

RIP Molly

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Faye,

Sorry you had to go through that I know it isn't easy. Other than aggression from another tank mate, I just don't know what could have caused the fish to deteriorate so quickly.

I hope all of your other fish are ok!

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Faye, I'm so sory about that, I don't know what it could have been either. It's not something that happens very often to be honest.

I agree with Ken and say that it really doesn't sound like something that has been caught from anywhere.
RIP little molly

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom