Can Anyone Identify This Creature??

Bobbysius

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've had a shrimp/snail tank for about 5 months now with a few live plants. Maybe a month ago I noticed what appeared to be an aquatic insect, but it had disappeared by the time I got a good picture of it. I found it again today and it doesn't resemble any aquatic bug I can find on the internet. Pics are posted below but it appears to have six legs, and a cluster of air bubbles on its sides (to breath?) kind of resembles a small praying mantis but brown. If any entomologists could lend me a hand IDing it, I'd appreciate it. Also, is it dangerous to my RCS or snails?

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's either a dragon fly or damsel fly nymph. They are predatory and they might attack your shrimp. I would probably get rid of it as soon as you can.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dragon fly nymph, get it out if you can, they do pose a threat to shrimp, especially smaller ones like cherries and basically anything smaller than an amano

Kohlt22

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't take any chances with any aquatic bugs. A long time ago I was helping a buddy pull weeds out of his pond and he had got stung by some type of beetle larvae and he's wrist had literally swelled 5x it's normal size but thankfully it was not deadly.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Kohlt22 said:
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't take any chances with any aquatic bugs. A long time ago I was helping a buddy pull weeds out of his pond and he had got stung by some type of beetle larvae and he's wrist had literally swelled 5x it's normal size but thankfully it was not deadly.
It's definitely a dragon fly nymph, and let me see if I can find the page, but they're actually so dangerous to shrimp that a website about shrimp diseases has them mentioned.

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
+1 for dragon fly nymph. I'd get it out fast. If you also have a pond you could put it in there. It will keep mosquito populations in check.

BReefer97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dragon fly nymphs are brutal, definitely take it out. I watched a guy on YouTube document one he found in his tank and he let it stay and do it’s thing. Ate a load of his fish, absolutely crazy.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
just out of curiosity, do these nymphs stay nymphs, or change to draggon fys? are all dragon flys nymfs first? and are all d.fly nymfs water bugs first?

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes all Dragonflies start out as nymphs. The Dragonfly is the most efficient predator on earth. They are successful in catching their prey about 80% of the time which is a crazy high success rate. I wouldn't expect a nymph to be any less predatory.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah dragonflies are actually incredible creatures, everything from their eyesight to the structure of their wings. They're one of the only insects capable of flying backwards and down, where most flies have no ability to fly down (they just have to stop flying and fall down, but technically can't fly downwards). I'm just worried about OP's shrimp, those are definitely food for the nymph

Keystone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with all the above - it is like having a velociraptor guard your cattle. Dragonfly & damselfly larvae (and adults) are apex predators and shouldn't be trifled with if you have RCS in your tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom