Can anyone identify these two LBFs (Little Brown Fish)

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Ilyas, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Ilyas

Ilyas Valued Member Member

Got these a couple weeks ago out of the assorted African Cichlid tank. The Kenyi is obvious lol but my wife and I are having fun trying to figure the other two out. We are having a little contest to see who is right. Yes she knows we are posting this lol. I think the one that is orangeish in color is an O.B. Zebra, the other I think is a Sunshine (more hope I think then actually convinced lol). I know they can very well be hybreds as well...Please let us know what you think... 044.jpg 045.jpg 047.jpg 048.jpg 049.jpg 050.jpg 054.jpg 055.jpg 056.jpg

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

The blue stripey one is a Johanni Cichlid (one of my favorites!). The yellow stripey one is a Auratus Cichlid (mean little suckers). The brownish looking is similar to female Iodotropheus stuartgranti. Don't know the common name for those, sorry. And yes, the orange and black spotty one is a OB Mbuna.

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Valued Member Member

+1
    Iodotropheus stuartgranti...i believe the common name is a rusty cichlid or at least in the same family. the one in the above photo looks to be very young yet, it could also be a female metriaclima greshakei (had one sold to me as a male rusty and turned out to be a female greshakei)

4. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

Someone else mentioned that the brownish one is defiantly a Cobalt Blue. I thought rusty for a while too. I did know the Johani and the Aurutus. I also know the bigger orange and black one is an OB Zebra, I am certain the baby in the picture is too. Thanks for the input Buzz and Rouge, will keep you posted and keep updating the pics as they get older.

5. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

Would be nice to get a metriaclima greshakei. The little guy in my avatar was sold to us as an Ice blue (metriaclima greshakei) but I think it is an Acei or an Acei hybrid. Still waiting for that one to get a little older too. Unfortunately we lost the male Convict in the pic a few days ago; he was pretty old though and we were just saving him from being destroyed before his time.

6. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I have heard that Convicts live to a pretty good old age if fish tank conditions are moderately proper, etc. I'd love to have one, but I don't think you should mix them with the Mbunas.

7. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

When I took that pic Alex it was when we only had the one tank and we did not know better. We were not aware of all the online info and we took what the Pet store told us at full face value. Needless to say, we have 5 tanks now and at least 3 more on the way next week. We have the Mbunas seprated into tanks according to meat eaters and veg only. We have barbs in their own tank with a female Convict. We have the Blue Acara and Dwarfs in their own tank and the Mollies and Guppies in their own tank which also is used to grow out a species or two at a time to get big enough for their actual tank. Currently a Florida Bushynose and a Yo-yo Loach are growing out. I appreciate any advice and do not take an attitude that I know it all, because to be honest, I hope to never stop learning in this hobby. Have a good one Alex and nice chatting. May I add you as my first friend lol?

8. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I have two convicts with mbuna. I've been trying to catch them for months. They only pick on each other , but are both pretty battle hardened.

9. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

They can be fast for sure. What i do is use a lid to a storage bin when I know where they are in the tank. I put it in, after removing any decor that is in the way, so that it touches both sides of the tank. I try to be sure all other fish are on the other side of the barrier (storage lid). I then pull out any rocks or decor they are hiding under. I now have an empty small space with the fish I want to catch. This is like shooting fish in a barrel now. This is how I caught my Jerdon's Baril the second time I needed to move them. The first time my wife and I chased them all over the 45g tank until they tired out. We stressed them to the point they had no color and the others in the tanked got really stressed too. It took over an hour to catch them this way. When we blocked the three behind the storage bin and had no other fish or decor/rocks in the way, we caught them all in less than 5 min, no one was stressed at all including the 3 we moved. Give it a try and see if it works for you. The female Cons are very aggressive when they are ready to make babies. Our female is with our Barbs now and she tries to chase them but gets left in their dust lol.

10. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

i'm pretty sure that the yellowish one is not a zebra and the other is not a cobalt, I'm think one of them looks like a yellow banded trouphues moori. the brownish one looks like a hap to me

11. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I agree. Yellow does look like a trophy

12. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

Very interesting. Looks like all I have learned is that it is difficult to ID babies of certain species lol. I sure hope they grow up so we know for sure and remain healthy, long living fish. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

13. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

So a few weeks have passed and there has been some changes in these fish, I am posting pics here and later a link to a you tube video I will post about them and the Blue Acara fry. 040.jpg 041.jpg 043.jpg 044.jpg 046.jpg

14. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Very nice. I still think they are what I guessed above. The orangish one in the second picture looks like a Red Zebra Mbuna.

15. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

I think the brownish/gold one is either a Sunshine or a Blue Zebra. Here is a link to a video with both of them and the Blue Acara Babies...

16. OP
    OP
    Ilyas

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice