Can anyone identify my Puffer?

  • Thread starter

Tylee

New Member
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Points
156
Hi

Can anyone identify what Puffer fish i have acquired ???
 

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,249
Reaction score
37
Points
358
Experience
5 years
I don't know anything about Puffers ... but he looks more like a Pleco, lol DO Puffers stay at the bottom of the tank?
 

schiz

New Member
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Points
156
Looks to me like a Tetraodon miurus or Congo Puffer.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Tylee

New Member
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Points
156
it is in fact a Tetraodon miurus!! good call Schiz!

They are Lurkers rather than Hunters so do spend there time hanging around the bottom of the tank ... but they look great when they swim around!!

i've just realised that they change color aswell!! not drastically but mine changes from a very dark brown to a light cream color it looks like it changes to the colour of the gravel.
 

shollia

Valued Member
Messages
322
Reaction score
0
Points
186
Puffers are such neat little fish! I love the way they swim.
 

20gall~gal

New Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Points
151
How are puffers (and what kind) in a freshwater tank with community fish?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

Tylee

New Member
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Points
156
Not 100% about all puffers but my one (the congo puffer) is defintaley not suitable in a community tank.

i am lead to believe that most puffers are very agressive but can tell you that mine is for sure agressive! hes only 1 1/2 inches long but has tried to eat my bala sharks which are twice his size! i have now bought him his own tank and territory.

i find it hard to feed him aswell and he will only accept live foods if its not wiggling or kicking he will turn his nose up at it, for example live bloodworm he will eat, frozen bloodworm he will not!

i was also told by my LFS that they can grow up to a foot long, but only time will tell on that one!

hope this helps a little but someone else may have better info
 

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
176
Tylee said:
Not 100% about all puffers but my one (the congo puffer) is defintaley not suitable in a community tank.

i am lead to believe that most puffers are very agressive but can tell you that mine is for sure agressive! hes only 1 1/2 inches long but has tried to eat my bala sharks which are twice his size! i have now bought him his own tank and territory.

i find it hard to feed him aswell and he will only accept live foods  if its not wiggling or kicking he will turn his nose up at it, for example live bloodworm he will eat, frozen bloodworm he will not!

i was also told by my LFS that they can grow up to a foot long, but only time will tell on that one!

hope this helps a little but someone else may have better info 
WOW...my 2 green spotted puffers are picky, but not THAT picky! They will eat frozen bloodworms
from a plastic spoon...come completely out of the water to get it!
Yep, I must be moving mine out too....they have been nipping all the other's fins!
They are in freshwater tho...doing really well...hungry ALL of the time!
Good luck with your congo!!!
 

paul219

Valued Member
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
166
Nice puffer. Wonderful.
 

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
176
20gall~gal said:
How are puffers (and what kind) in a freshwater tank with community fish?
I picked up 2 puffers, not knowing WHAT they were, they were just neat.
Before we were able to get them in their own tank, they ate 2 tetra's....and KILLED
a baby puffer and other SMALL fish. They tend to pick on SMALLER fish than them.
Now they are in their own tank....#6 all together. I suggesst if you get puffers,
try and keep them about the same size in one tank. I have a Clown Loach and a Pleco in their tank, and it works great. I have a baby puffer in the community tank, waiting
for it to get bigger to go in the puffer tank...I will watch for aggression.
Some days they were really passive and others very aggressive, so you really can't tell what they are gonna do next!!!
 

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
40
Points
358
He looks cool, but that definitely is not a dwarf puffer. Indeed urgent to get it identified in case he's salt water.
 

JasmynJade

Valued Member
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
176
armadillo said:
He looks cool, but that definitely is not a dwarf puffer. Indeed urgent to get it identified in case he's salt water.
Oops, I forgot, I can't help you identify...but I agree with armadillo, get it identified as soon as possible. Call the store where you bought it...they will have a record of what kind it is!
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom