Can Anyone Id This? Help 

Irv

Valued Member
Reaction score
Saw this (cat?)fish at petco today and it wasn't labeled, anyone know what it is ? Thought it was pretty cool looking
20190806_165534(0).jpg

NC122606

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Syno petricola ;

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That thing gets just over ten inches as an adult! Jeepers! You'd better have a big tank!!

Irv

Valued Member
Reaction score
NC122606 said:
Looks like a Cuckoo Catfish.
Thank you!

coralbandit said:
Syno petricola ;
Awesome thanks for the info!

Faytaya said:
That thing gets just over ten inches as an adult! Jeepers! You'd better have a big tank!!
I was thinking about it when I first saw it but not if its gonna be that big. although I did read one thing that said 30gal minimum but that doesn't seem right at all.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
These ones don't get that big. Around 3 to 5 inches depending on the source of info. They do like to be in groups though. It's not actually the cuckoo, but the false cuckoo catfish.

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Feohw said:
These ones don't get that big. Around 3 to 5 inches depending on the source of info. They do like to be in groups though. It's not actually the cuckoo, but the false cuckoo catfish.
Ooooh okay! So can these go into a 35 gallon?

lilangelfish716

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
coralbandit said:
Syno petricola ;

Right on the money! I’ve had two of these guys for 3 or maybe even more years (time flies). They are absolutely awesome to watch. They are super playful fish. Sometimes they swim on their backs with their bellies up towards the surface. The other day I caught one literally “riding” the air bubbles from each of my sponge filters. It kind of freaked me out at first, my first thought was they needed oxygen/air stone but I watched for awhile, and nope! He was just playing. I keep them with my angels. They are usually kind of expensive though so I wouldn’t buy at Petco if you can help it or if you do, I would advise to definitely quarantine if you are adding to your tank and then just take a gamble on the money spent. I think we have all done it at least once lol. These were one of the best additions to my tank and well worth the money I spent for them. Highly recommend. I love them.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Faytaya said:
Ooooh okay! So can these go into a 35 gallon?
That would depend on the dimensions of the tank. Different sources say they can go into 30 gallon tanks others say 35. So possibly yes assuming the dimensions are suitable. They would need a group though.

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Feohw said:
That would depend on the dimensions of the tank. Different sources say they can go into 30 gallon tanks others say 35. So possibly yes assuming the dimensions are suitable. They would need a group though.
I'm guessing a 35 long would be suitable.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Faytaya said:
I'm guessing a 35 long would be suitable.
Likely. Apparently the tank should be 36 inches long and then it would be suitable

Faytaya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Feohw said:
Likely. Apparently the tank should be 36 inches long and then it would be suitable
Mine is exactly that. Hmm...

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only two Tanganyikan Synos with white dorsal and pectoral spines are S. lucipinnis and S. petricola.
I’d assume this one is lucipinnis because of the random nature of the spots...

lilangelfish716

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Coptapia said:
The only two Tanganyikan Synos with white dorsal and pectoral spines are S. lucipinnis and S. petricola.
I’d assume this one is lucipinnis because of the random nature of the spots...
Coptapia So interesting! I just found this. Synodontis lucipinnis

After reading it’s still a little tricky for me to identify the difference. Although I did just wake up my main tank to take pics. any thoughts on this guy? Now I’m second guessing synos p. is what I have but I might be overthinking it -sorry QP not trying to high jack your post!
IMG_2384.JPG

Irv

Valued Member
Reaction score
Feohw said:
Ooooo I could upgrade to something in the 30s thanks for putting the option back on the table! Think they would be okay with some honey gourami?

lilangelfish716 said:
Right on the money! I’ve had two of these guys for 3 or maybe even more years (time flies). They are absolutely awesome to watch. They are super playful fish. Sometimes they swim on their backs with their bellies up towards the surface. The other day I caught one literally “riding” the air bubbles from each of my sponge filters. It kind of freaked me out at first, my first thought was they needed oxygen/air stone but I watched for awhile, and nope! He was just playing. I keep them with my angels. They are usually kind of expensive though so I wouldn’t buy at Petco if you can help it or if you do, I would advise to definitely quarantine if you are adding to your tank and then just take a gamble on the money spent. I think we have all done it at least once lol. These were one of the best additions to my tank and well worth the money I spent for them. Highly recommend. I love them.
I'm definitely strongly considering them! I have a 12gal with a pair of honey gourami that I wanted to upgrade to a 30 and add some more to. They're at the top of the list right now! I'm just gonna check they're compatible

lilangelfish716 said:
Coptapia So interesting! I just found this. Synodontis lucipinnis

After reading it’s still a little tricky for me to identify the difference. Although I did just wake up my main tank to take pics. any thoughts on this guy? Now I’m second guessing synos p. is what I have but I might be overthinking it -sorry QP not trying to high jack your post! View attachment 578718
No problem at all. Who am I to hinder someone's quest for knowledge. Besides I'm super interest myself. Not to mention slightly confused. How big is your guy? I just looked up synos petricola and lucipinnus. And they seem to have similar stats in terms of size. But lucipinnus is labeled "dwarf". Also if you just Google cuckoo catfish I got something called Synodontis multipunctatus that can get massive. But the little guy in my photo and your photo don't like as similar to that one. So I don't think that's it.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well at PlanetCatfish it says lucipinnis gets just under 4 inches, while petricola can get just over 5 inches. That's not really as close as it seems.

lilangelfish716

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Irv said:
No problem at all. Who am I to hinder someone's quest for knowledge. Besides I'm super interest myself. Not to mention slightly confused. How big is your guy? I just looked up synos petricola and lucipinnis. And they seem to have similar stats in terms of size. But lucipinnus is labeled "dwarf". Also if you just Google cuckoo catfish I got something called Synodontis multipunctatus that can get massive. But the little guy in my photo and your photo don't like as similar to that one. So I don't think that's it.
Thank you! Yeah it's interesting because the article says that the differentiation between synos and lucipinnis was published/officially acknowledged in 2006 (prior to that they were labeled "erroneously" dwarf synos p. the lucipinnis). Mine are synos I have 2- one is slightly larger than the other but just measured as best I could and the larger one is just over 5 inches- fully grown. chromedome52- Thank you!

Either way, you have had some really well known hobbyists comment here. I'm just a curious one lol and this was a tricky one.

Good luck! How fun to find a new fish that you are interested in! These guys are a good find.

Irv

Valued Member
Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
Well at PlanetCatfish it says lucipinnis gets just under 4 inches, while petricola can get just over 5 inches. That's not really as close as it seems.
That's a good point. Seems really close, but I guess over 20% bigger is not THAT close. Haha

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom