Can anyone ID this Rock?

AggressiveAquatics

Can anyone ID this Rock? I found it outside in my backyard and I think it would be awesome for my hardscape. When I get home I’ll do the acid test but for now does anyone know what type it is?

emilymg

not sure, but it looks really cool!

TClare

I don’t know what kind of rock it is but it looks a bit like some I have in my tank that I got from our local river. They have not changed the water parameters at all.

AggressiveAquatics

TClare said:
I don’t know what kind of rock it is but it looks a bit like some I have in my tank that I got from our local river. They have not changed the water parameters at all.
Thanks I just did the acid test and it didn’t fizz so we good thanks everyone!

jake37

Wait. I can identify that rock. It is one i lost last month. I want to thank you for finding it and ask that you return it.

mattgirl

I don't think so Jake. It looks a lot like my pet rock. It rolled away from home a few weeks ago. See if it answers to Third (rock from the sun). If it does, tell it its time to go home. If it won't go then put it in your tank. I never taught it to swim so it shouldn't be able to roll away from you as long as you keep it submerged

AcornTheBetta

AggressiveAquatics said:
Can anyone ID this Rock? I found it outside in my backyard and I think it would be awesome for my hardscape. When I get home I’ll do the acid test but for now does anyone know what type it is?
Is that what AZ looks like?

jake37

If it were your pet rock why would you want to drown it ? No. Something is definitely off.

mattgirl said:
I don't think so Jake. It looks a lot like my pet rock. It rolled away from home a few weeks ago. See if it answers to Third (rock from the sun). If it does, tell it its time to go home. If it won't go then put it in your tank. I never taught it to swim so it shouldn't be able to roll away from you as long as you keep it submerged
Only that part of AZ. AZ ranges from flat desert to mountains. There are other parts of AZ that looks different.

AcornTheBetta said:

Kribensis27

Excuse me! That’s my son, Jimothy. I ask that you return him immediately or I will press charges!

AggressiveAquatics

AcornTheBetta said:
That’s what southern AZ looks like in the morning I can share a pic of the sunrise it comes up right at the mountain outside my window

jake37 said:
Wait. I can identify that rock. It is one i lost last month. I want to thank you for finding it and ask that you return it.
Finders keepers..... I’ve grown attached to him and he won’t be returning.
mattgirl said:
He responded but he doesn’t need to know that he won’t be returning or that he’s going to live underwater for the rest of his life

Actually I have a pic here

Kribensis27

AggressiveAquatics said:
Actually I have a pic here
Wow, AZ is pretty. MN sunrises are nice, but nothing compared to that. I don’t have a sunrise pic, but here’s a sunset.

AggressiveAquatics

The sunrise this morning looked like a volcanic eruption lol

DoubleDutch

jake37 said:
Such a coincidence it showed up here then hahahaha.

Beautiful rock, that I't put in my tank without any doubt.

chromedome52

It looks to have bits of petrified wood in it. I believe it is illegal in AZ to collect petrified wood from certain areas. It used to be collected a lot for general decorative purposes, including aquariums, a long time ago. When the parks people realized how much was vanishing, they got a law passed against possessing it. I think.

StarGirl

They have it for sale at my lfs. It is only illegal to take it from the National parks. If you find it in your yard its fine.
That is a nice looking stone!

DoubleDutch

chromedome52 said:
It looks to have bits of petrified wood in it. I believe it is illegal in AZ to collect petrified wood from certain areas. It used to be collected a lot for general decorative purposes, including aquariums, a long time ago. When the parks people realized how much was vanishing, they got a law passed against possessing it. I think.
It is Jake's !!!!! His confession is up here. Get him arrested.

StarGirl

I don't know it kind of sounds like they are all in kahoots to get the OP arrested. You notice they all said it travelled there all by itself. Kinda fishy.

jake37

But I acquired it outside of AZ !!! AZ has no claim on my rock !

DoubleDutch said:
It is Jake's !!!!! His confession is up here. Get him arrested.

DoubleDutch

But seriously : it is beautiful.

mattgirl

DoubleDutch said:
But seriously : it is beautiful.
I agree. If I had ever had it I never would have let it roll away

If I am remembering correctly petrified wood was being hauled out by the truckload before the law was passed to put a stop to it. If that law hadn't been passed the whole petrified forest would no longer have any left for all of us to enjoy seeing. We drove through there many years ago. I was amazed at just how beautiful a petrified tree can be. So many beautiful colors. Still looked like a fallen tree from a distance but up close you could see it had turned to stone.

AggressiveAquatics

chromedome52 said:
I blame the landscaper. They can’t catch me now

jake37 said:
But I acquired it outside of AZ !!! AZ has no claim on my rock !
He was already in AZ when I told him I had candy in my car tho

jake37

Rock napper.

AggressiveAquatics said:
He was already in AZ when I told him I had candy in my car tho

Nikao

Looks like Ironstone

A201

The rock looks like "Obsidian"to me, an Igneous rock. Disclaimer: It's been a long time since I attended Geology class, but I did make a B+.

StarGirl

I think he needs a pic on the sunny side of the rock not the shady side.

AggressiveAquatics

StarGirl said:
I think he needs a pic on the sunny side of the rock not the shady side.
Here’s some pics with the flash on. It’s still kinda wet from washing it so it’s not metallic Irl

A201

Still going with Extrusive Igneous rock, probably Obsidian.

mattgirl

A201 said:
You are probably right but isn't that some of what petrified wood would be. The latest photo looks even more like petrified wood right down to petrified bark. Whatever it is, it is a beautiful rock.

TClare

I think the reddish colour is probably iron. I dont think it is obsidian, that is usually black and shiny, a kind of glass.

AggressiveAquatics

A201 said:
Is that still aquarium safe?

TClare said:
I think the reddish colour is probably iron. I dont think it is obsidian, that is usually black and shiny, a kind of glass.
Not necessarily. When I was visiting Tenerife I collected an obsidian rock from the beach that wasn’t shiny it also had some gold specks in it. It was awesome I think I have it somewhere in my closet

Kribensis27

This definitely looks like an extrusive igneous type, but I wouldn’t say obsidian. It looks a lot like basalt, which I believe is ph neutral and aquarium safe.

AggressiveAquatics

Kribensis27 said:
This definitely looks like an extrusive igneous type, but I wouldn’t say obsidian. It looks a lot like basalt, which I believe is ph neutral and aquarium safe.
Whatever it is it is ph neutral I acid checked it with my nitrate #1 testing bottle

StarGirl

This is petrified wood I got at the Petrified Forrest Natl park gift shop..It is definitely not that.

Nikao

Kribensis27

Bleh

AggressiveAquatics

Kribensis27 said:
Here’s a random screenshot of basalt from a google search
There is nothing

Kribensis27

AggressiveAquatics said:
There is nothing
Oops, I deleted it. Whatever, it looked basically like a rock.

Nikao

It probably was a copyrighted photo

Kribensis27

Probably

Tsutey

A201 said:
I found some obsidian in the southwest desert (near petrified dunes) and it is a prize, my son was so tickled. Didn't look extruded though, more melty. I didn't know extruded was a *thing*. That looks really cool.
Tsutey said:
I found some obsidian in the southwest desert (near petrified dunes) and it is a prize, my son was so tickled. Didn't look extruded though, more melty. I didn't know extruded was a *thing*. That looks really cool.
Extrusive = extruded in the process of formation? I realize I made some leaps there, lol. It has been a long time since third grade geology summer school. ☺

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom