Can anyone ID this plant?

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Member
Messages
804
Reactions
259
Location
Michigan, USA
Experience
3 years
CorydorasCats said:
I am a rookie and forgot to note down the name of this plant! Can anyone ID it for me?
whatever it is, it’s cool looking! I’d like to know what it is also...maybe I’ll get one lol
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Active Member
Member
Messages
129
Reactions
52
Experience
Just started
SnookusFish said:
Limnophila sessiliflora?
I thought it began with an ‘L’! It does look like that too! Thank you :D
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Active Member
Member
Messages
129
Reactions
52
Experience
Just started
Ssnaaiil said:
I’m Gona have to get me some of that! :joyful:
It was recommended by the fish store as it’s supposedly reallyyy easy to look after, grows fast and you can just cut it down and re-plant to create more! (Apparently :hilarious: )

I’ve also got some Najas (guppy grass) coming which is supposed to also be really easy and fast growing! Fingers crossed
 

Ssnaaiil

Well Known
Member
Messages
804
Reactions
259
Location
Michigan, USA
Experience
3 years
CorydorasCats said:
It was recommended by the fish store as it’s supposedly reallyyy easy to look after, grows fast and you can just cut it down and re-plant to create more! (Apparently :hilarious: )

I’ve also got some Najas (guppy grass) coming which is supposed to also be really easy and fast growing! Fingers crossed
I made a mistake and didn’t research hornwort enough before I bought some:banghead: and now I have it coming in the mail today and after I ordered it I found out it sheds ALOT:eek:
Lesson learned...be sure to do a good research before buying plants. I have always done lots of research on fish/inverts before getting them....guess that’s what happens when your new to plants lol
 

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,061
Reactions
4,566
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
1 year
CorydorasCats said:
It was recommended by the fish store as it’s supposedly reallyyy easy to look after, grows fast and you can just cut it down and re-plant to create more! (Apparently :hilarious: )

I’ve also got some Najas (guppy grass) coming which is supposed to also be really easy and fast growing! Fingers crossed
I'm about 95% sure it's water wisteria, and that first paragraph is all true, though I've seen some people here say they struggle with it. Kind of like I do with guppy grass. It doesn't die, but it definitely doesn't thrive either.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Active Member
Member
Messages
129
Reactions
52
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
I'm about 95% sure it's water wisteria, and that first paragraph is all true, though I've seen some people here say they struggle with it. Kind of like I do with guppy grass. It doesn't die, but it definitely doesn't thrive either.
Oh no I am not experienced in the slightest with plants either so I was really hoping these were miracle plants that just do their thing and I don’t have to worry too much :smuggrin:

I guess I will wait and see what happens with them.. I was worried about the guppy grass anyway as I have a lot of water agitation due to my huge filter but wanted to at least give it a try as I have fry!
 

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,844
Reactions
7,458
Location
Long Island
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes some peoples water will make certain plants struggle. I can get wisteria to grow in my tanks but only by floating or mounting high in the tank. Needs strong lighting. Same with anacharis or hornwort. Hornwort will only shed if it dying. Not enough ferts and light. If you notice it shedding after you plant it cut off the bottom planted part and float the top.
 

SnookusFish

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,153
Reactions
1,272
Experience
5 to 10 years
CorydorasCats said:
Oh no I am not experienced in the slightest with plants either so I was really hoping these were miracle plants that just do their thing and I don’t have to worry too much :smuggrin:

I guess I will wait and see what happens with them.. I was worried about the guppy grass anyway as I have a lot of water agitation due to my huge filter but wanted to at least give it a try as I have fry!
It is a miracle plant! Im 96% sure ;) thats limnophila sessiliflora. It grows super easily and fast even under low light but under higher light it will be denser. Its a stem plant so as you said when it gets too tall you can just snip and replant. It looks best planted in a group so try and do that to get a bush effect. You shouldnt have issues, a good beginner plant.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
CorydorasCats

CorydorasCats

Active Member
Member
Messages
129
Reactions
52
Experience
Just started
SnookusFish said:
It is a miracle plant! Im 96% sure ;) thats limnophila sessiliflora. It grows super easily and fast even under low light but under higher light it will be denser. Its a stem plant so as you said when it gets too tall you can just snip and replant. It looks best planted in a group so try and do that to get a bush effect. You shouldnt have issues, a good beginner plant.
Amazing thank you! It seems to be doing well so far (even though I’ve only had it a week :hilarious: ) it is really beautiful too, I’m hoping to fill out a corner of the tank where the flow isn’t so strong so the fry can chill :D!
 

Donovan Jones

Well Known
Member
Messages
851
Reactions
459
Location
Pennsylvania
Experience
More than 10 years
If u look at how many leaves are in a whirl around the stem, it rules out wisteria. If u were to cut a cross section, this looks like itd look like a snowflake, whereas wisteria would only have two leaves per whirl. Imma say it's a limnophila. Cabomba is the same as wisteria in leaf arrangement but it has feathery leaves.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
220
Guests online
3,142
Total visitors
3,362

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom