Question Can anyone ID this fish

Guppygirl88

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought this little one at my LFS -she came right up to the glass, price was right, then I saw the description and it said Red Dragon Flowerhorn I asked the fish person "why so cheap?" F.P says "it's still just a Cichlid" She's about 2.5 in. long no Spangles of any kind, a little bit of red near the dorsal (sorry the pics are so bad) I think female because of coloring. I'm feeding bug bites, frzn. bloodworms, and color flakes. So do you think it's a Flower horn? or too soon to tell? Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you

20200322_180602_Burst04.jpg
20200322_190358.jpg

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
No, I don't think so, to me that looks like an aequidens curviceps. W/e it is, its def. not a flower horn...:/. I'm sorry. EDIT: I shouldnt be so sure, it could be VERY young flower horn...but to me it really doesn't look like a flower horn.

Is the mouth downward turned a bit? If it is a curviceps of some kind, they are a south american dwarf cichlid. He won't get much bigger than 3-4 inches, but they're considerably pretty fish. Not nearly as aggressive as a flower horn.

Look up a curvicepts and let me know what you think, do they look similar?

Last Edit...if you didn't pay too much for him, where I work in OH, they're usually priced around 8.99 and they're considerably rare, Ive only seen them....maybe twice a year.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is a Laetacara, but not curviceps. Rather it is L. dorsigera, and they can get some color, but only if you have two of them spawning. Certainly not as aggressive as a Flowerhorn, and 3-3.5 inches is about the max size for them.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks to have a dark blotch on the dorsal fin, which is a female trait of Central American Cichlids & possibly of some South American Cichlids.

OP
Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chromedome52 said:
It is a Laetacara, but not curviceps. Rather it is L. dorsigera, and they can get some color, but only if you have two of them spawning. Certainly not as aggressive as a Flowerhorn, and 3-3.5 inches is about the max size for them.
Yup that is it and 3-3.5 in. is perfect I really admire Flowerhorns and the thought of having found one was cool at first until it started to sink in but Acara anything is totally doable hmmm may have to start another tank aww darn!

Magicpenny75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Chromedome beat me to it. I have a pair of them in a 30 gallon with a little group of brilliant rasbora. They are great little fish. I think the females tend to stay a little smaller than the males from what I have read. Mine haven't been interested in breeding and don't really hang out together. The male tends to run the female off.

OP
Guppygirl88

Guppygirl88

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Magicpenny75 said:
Chromedome beat me to it. I have a pair of them in a 30 gallon with a little group of brilliant rasbora. They are great little fish. I think the females tend to stay a little smaller than the males from what I have read. Mine haven't been interested in breeding and don't really hang out together. The male tends to run the female off.
Well I have been helped by two of the best so I guess the next step is to break it to my husband that this little fish and a school of Danios? will have to have a much much bigger tank like much biggerThank you

New Threads