Can anyone ID this female betta

Status
Not open for further replies.

naven23

Reaction score
This fish is a female betta I caught in a river.Can anyone tell me what fin type is it?image

Last edited by a moderator:

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If I'm not mistaken, it won't have any of the tail types we're familiar with. Those are selectively bred, and in the wild they'll have the "wild type" characteristics, not crowntail, veiltail, etc.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know but she certainly is a beautiful healthy looking betta fish. Congrats on your new girl. Alison

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on what river and geographic location, it could be a couple of species, but it looks more like a feral female. Feral populations occur when fish that have been domestically kept for generations are released or somehow escape into waters where their species does not normally occur. There are many feral populations of various species around SE Asia due to fish breeding operations being sloppy.

naven23

Reaction score
Hi.Today I went to the same river and caught some bettas.Again,I need your help guys.The white one is a male and the red one is a female.I am quite sure that the white one might be either a crown or comb.The red one,I am not sure,may be a half moon or veil tailimage.Can anyone help me to ID the both bettas?image

Last edited by a moderator:

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The white one looks like a crown to me and the red looks like a veil. You are so lucky! I wanna catch bettas in my backyard.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Why the heck are there white crowntails, or any colour of crowntail in the wild?! They're a man-made variety!

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My guess would be chromedomes explanation aquaphobia. He's a really pretty betta though.

naven23

Reaction score
Aquaphobia was right.That river consist of naturally existing fresh water fish and some fish that their owners let them go into the river.Even I saw some giant flowerhorns there although they don't naturally exist there.Perhaps the white crowntail might be man made variety and they breeded there and their population increase.By the way,I got a new betta home today from the river.Guess who?The crowntail of course HAHAHA!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, they are feral populations, though it must be a relatively recent release, as I doubt that crowntail would last long enough to breed. Feral populations tend to devolve back to the natural forms, like the females, as these are usually the dominant traits in the species.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom