Can Anyone Help Sex My Convict?

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by schmalzy_x0, Dec 7, 2018.

1. schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0New MemberMember

Hi everyone! I'm just curious if anyone can help me figure out if my convict is male or female. It is about 2 inches long. Aggressive and the boss of the tank. It has blueish fins and blue dots on belly. I'm leaning more towards a male. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!!

Here are a couple pictures.

Attached Files:

2. MWRValued MemberMember

Looks like a male to me.

3. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Thanks for replying! I was thinking male as well because of its aggressiveness. And it doesn't have any warm colors.. yellow/red.

4. MWRValued MemberMember

I agree. The female should have some reddish/orange. convict.jpg
    Not my picture - download from the internet.

5. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Thanks!! And even around 2 - 2.5 inches they should have these colors?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  6. MWRValued MemberMember

Yes. 2 -2.5 would be a large female convict. I would expect to see the reddish/orange at 1-1.5".

7. MWRValued MemberMember

Do you have more than one convict in the tank?

8. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Awesome! It's definitely a male then. I don't but I am going to get him a few buddies today. Hopefully find him a woman lol.

9. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

I did have one convict in the tank with him but he harrassed it constantly and it got way to stressed out. It was quite a bit smaller than him. When I got them they were the same size but this guy just grew like crazy. Maybe getting some the same size as him would be better? Or getting 3 to spread out the aggressiveness? He gets along with everyone else in the tank (2 firemouths, 2 ebas, and a jd). He is the boss and he lets them know but seems like he is way more agressive with his own kind. Any tips would be appreciated!!

10. MWRValued MemberMember

A lot of cichlids will not tolerate their own kind (territory thing). I would recommend getting a female only if any at all. If you get a female they will likely pair up and then "fight night" will probably be on for the rest of the occupants. Your tank size will have an effect on what you can get away with.

11. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

Well I went and got a female. She is about an inch and a half and has a red belly. He lovveddd her at first. Was like shaking around infront of her and following her everywhere. Then he was chasing her and the other tankmates around like crazy and now he is calming down a bit lol. Hopefully everything will be good. My tank is a 80 gallon. If they get too much for my other fish, I will put them in their own tank. Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  12. OP
    OP
    schmalzy_x0

My male went crazy!! He turned black, you couldn't see his stripes at all and was chasing her and the other tank mates constantly. Seriously went on a rampage. So yeah I took her back and he is back to his normal self. He is going to be the only convict in the tank. Crazy fish I tell ya lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice