Can Anyone Help Me With My Australian Rainbow?

ATShells

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello everyone! First off I apologize if this is placed in the wrong area.
Anyways, I have an Australian Rainbow that has started acting weird the last week to two weeks. He has been less active than normal, and isn’t going crazy at feeding time like he always has. In fact, I rarely see him get any at all.
Now, I’ve also noticed a weird coloring on one side. The color looks normal on one side and on the other, it’s almost fading away?
Anyone know what this is?
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1297.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When Rainbow fish stop eating, something is wrong. But sadly, I really don't know what is wrong with him. I assume he has others of his own kind in the tank with him, and I'm also assuming your tank is cycled. So other than those things, I'm at a loss...sorry.

col7on

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How long have you had the rainbow? I had an Australian die about 2 weeks ago that I had for about a year he was 3 inches stopped being active at feeding and always looked like he was having trouble breathing also had it happen to a turquoise rainbow months ago I think there’s a disease that rainbows are more likely to get I can’t remember what it’s called

ATShells

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jdhef said:
When Rainbow fish stop eating, something is wrong. But sadly, I really don't know what is wrong with him. I assume he has others of his own kind in the tank with him, and I'm also assuming your tank is cycled. So other than those things, I'm at a loss...sorry.
There are 6 rainbows total in the tank. Was going to get some more, but wanted to see what this issue is and if it would affect any new guys added.
And yes, the tank is cycled.
I’m at a loss too!

col7on said:
How long have you had the rainbow? I had an Australian die about 2 weeks ago that I had for about a year he was 3 inches stopped being active at feeding and always looked like he was having trouble breathing also had it happen to a turquoise rainbow months ago I think there’s a disease that rainbows are more likely to get I can’t remember what it’s called
I have had him for roughly 6 months now. Got him when he was half the size he is now. It doesn’t look like he has trouble breathing, he still swims all over the tank, not the top gasping, but he is much slower than before.

N8_the_Gr8 said:
Is there anything on his gills that you can see?
I’ve looked him over multiple times, and I’ve not seen any type of growth or anything on the outside of him.

Guess it would help if I said the tank is kept at 77°, ph of abt 7.6. Fully cycled and has been running for 2 years. There are 6 rainbows in the tank, so he is not alone.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ATShells said:
Yes. Have tested multiple times in the last 2 weeks.
That's the strangest condition I've seen, don't know what would cause any fish to lose it's colour just on one side.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could it be a bacterial infection underneath the scales or an infection on the slimecoat? That would explain loss of colour and appetite IMO.

ATShells

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Whatever it was, I came home to him being fully pale (which could be due to him being dead all day, but I just arrived home so I don’t know) and dead.
About to test the water once again and make sure all is still well at least concerning water parameters.
I’ve never seen anything like this before...

Test results:
Nitrate:0-20
Nitrite:0
Ammonia:0

I would add that when I pulled him from the tank, I noticed an inch (or so) white string coming out of him...some sort of worm perhaps?
My other rainbows seem very weird now tonight. He was by far the biggest and seemed to be the leader, could it just be they’re a little lost now?

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ATShells said:
@Jayd976 and @FlipFlopFishFlake38 that’s what I was afraid of! Now I’ve gotta worry about how many others may be affected
Sorry you lost your rainbow, it looked like a really nice fish . I'd agree with those above on the internal parasite diagnosis, you might want to treat the whole tank with a parasite med to reduce the chance of the others getting infected.

Jayd976

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Need to make sure that it treats internal parasites if you go that route.

ATShells

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Seasoldier said:
Sorry you lost your rainbow, it looked like a really nice fish . I'd agree with those above on the internal parasite diagnosis, you might want to treat the whole tank with a parasite med to reduce the chance of the others getting infected.
Yes, was sad to not get a chance to save him. Was by far the biggest and most colorful! I’ll be looking into a med and swinging by the lfs today after work to hopefully prevent this from affecting others

Jayd976 said:
Need to make sure that it treats internal parasites if you go that route.
Yes most definitely! Will be looking at what options the local store has! I’ve done a bit of reading up on meds to treat this.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom