Can Anyone Help Me Sex This Guy? Question

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by FishyFan2018, Jun 22, 2018.

1. FishyFan2018

FishyFan2018 Valued Member Member

I bought this guy today and I originally ally thought was male (kinda still do because of the anal fin) but then I realized it's fat like waaay fat like it's pregnant. It's almost the same size as my very very pregnant reg swordtail so now I'm questioning if it is actually male or if I just got a female with a weird anal fin. Can anyone help?? Want to know so I can put in my bit hung tank if it is female so can keep fry from getting eaten (if it's female). Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

It def looks like a male to me. Probably bloated. Too round to be pregnant in my opinion but I don't know too much about live bearers but I know only males have the swordtails like that.

3. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

It’s definitely a male, not only does it have the sword, but it has a pointed anal fin.

4. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

It's a male. He is BEAUTIFUL btw. You are a lucky fishkeeper :) What variety is he?

5. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Male! Congrats and as for the fatness, feed de shelled peas.

6. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

It's a lyretail. The females look the same minus anal fin but I just found that out after I got him.

Ok cool. Ya gonna have to put him on a diet. Might have to wait for peas though as store is closed but will in the morning if he still too fat.

7. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

He likely will be. Or you can just fast him for a few days. Either one works.

8. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, he looks like a hi fin lyretail. Was he just sold as a lyretail?

9. NLindsey921

I looked it up. It looks similar but the females sword is more rounded in appearance while the male sword is straight.
    2674eaf2369c136dc822e2e3ad11e3ca.jpg

10. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I also agree it's a male. Just a heads up, I read/heard somewhere that the long finned varieties cannot easily breed. Because the males have such overly long man parts they have a hard time getting the job done. Not 100% sure this is true, but thought I'd say it anyways.

11. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

He is either a regular pineapple lyretail or a pineapple hifin lyretail. He was in assorted and caught my eye as he is gorgeous. Got him as a second male for my tank (unplanned) but research says they can't breed or is rare for the males to be able to breed due to a enlongated breeding thingy but will see. But when I him fat started hoping for female but wasn't holding breathe lol.

12. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

Ya I read that too hence hoped for female but as I got him as a male I'm not disappointed just hoping maybe he be a rare one that can lol if not he still gorgeous so all happy fish parent here.

13. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

Ya same picture I had found after getting him. But he got fat so second guessed myself

14. NLindsey921

I understand that. At least these guys are mostly easy to sex.

15. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

Yes he was in an assorted swordtail tank for $2 lol

16. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Nice male, he likely won't be able to breed not only due to length but the hooks that are on the gonopodium not being spaced right.
    He is chesty, which just has to do with feeding while they are growing (if they are overfed constantly they become chesty where it looks like they are round, except it cannot be fasted away).

17. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

Agreed lol my rams have been a pain to sex I much prefer swords and guppies

18. OP
    OP
    FishyFan2018

Ya they might have gotten over fed a bit today as my wife like to see the fish go crazy over the sinking shrimp pellets and tends to drop in extras plus we ick fed as the tank the lyretail was in was sharing water with a tank that might have had ick so figured better safe than sorry and the food treatment is safe so they got more food than typical and he might not be used to normal food amounts either. I will get some peas tomorrow and hopefully that does the trick.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice