Can anyone help me identify this Endler?

Goldmoon
I need some help identifying the strain of this guppy (I think it is a type of endler). I know there are hundreds of strains of endlers out there, and I’m not so good with identifying them. I was wondering if anyone knew what strain this male is? It looked to me like a “black bar” Endler, but I can’t be sure. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

TanksForTalking2Me
Goldmoon said:
I need some help identifying the strain of this guppy (I think it is a type of endler). I know there are hundreds of strains of endlers out there, and I’m not so good with identifying them. I was wondering if anyone knew what strain this male is? It looked to me like a “black bar” Endler, but I can’t be sure. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
It's double swordtail for sure. It looks like a poecilia wingei mix.

emeraldking
This is not an endler but a guppy. But not a specific one. The markings are guppy traits. And the shape of the doublesword leans to guppy and not endler. Most likely, a wildtype guppy influence is in there.
But it's a nice looking fellar though...

TanksForTalking2Me
emeraldking said:
This is not an endler but a guppy. But not a specific one. The markings are guppy traits. And the shape of the doublesword leans to guppy and not endler. Most likely, a wildtype guppy influence is in there.
But it's a nice looking fellar though...
It's definitely a Poecilia wingei (endler) Guppies have a bigger body and more tail than endlers.

emeraldking
TanksForTalking2Me said:
It's definitely a Poecilia wingei (endler) Guppies have a bigger body and more tail than endlers.
That's an incorrect info. Your remark is based on bigger fancy guppies with a large tail. I'm keeping and breeding guppies ever since the early 1970's and endlers ever since 2004. The shape of the doublesword and the markings are guppy traits. Besides the size and bodyshape of the bigger fancy guppies, there are also slender and small sized guppies.
A doublesword can occur in both endler and guppy. But endler swords are thinner. The only wild endler that does have a broad topsword is the Campoma nr.3.
Phenotypically, this male does not have endler traits.

TanksForTalking2Me
emeraldking said:
That's an incorrect info. Your remark is based on bigger fancy guppies with a large tail. I'm keeping and breeding guppies ever since the early 1970's and endlers ever since beginning of 2004. The shape of the doublesword and the markings are guppy traits. Besides the size and bodyshape of the bigger fancy guppies, there are also slender and small sized guppies.
A doublesword can occur in both endler and guppy. But endler swords are thinner. The only wild endler that does have a broad topsword is the Campoma nr.3.
Phenotypically, this male does not have endler traits.
It could be a mix but it looks most like an endler

Goldmoon
Either way, we can agree it is not a specific strain, correct? (Probably a mutt of a couple different strains?)

John58ford
Goldmoon said:
Either way, we can agree it is not a specific strain, correct? (Probably a mutt of a couple different strains?)
It does look like a wild guppy mutt. The only traits I can identify that would lead me to say it looks to be hybrid-cross with endler are the nice metallic greens that seem to be a bit washed out in your photos. Again though, greens are found in wild guppy strains as well, and the rest of this fish's features are pretty similar to wild guppy.

I do hybrid cross wild guppy with designer endlers and it can be very interesting to see what features carry through, whenever I get something interesting, emeraldking is my go to in associating the dominant traits of a specimen. I'm definitely no professional.

chromedome52
TanksForTalking2Me said:
I think you should be made aware that you are arguing with a world recognized expert on this particular group of livebearers. Emeraldking/Stan De Jong's guppies have been famous for decades. I would dare say you should try to learn from what he posted, as there is no doubt of his experience.

emeraldking
TanksForTalking2Me said:
If you're really into pure endlers, you'll see the difference. Serious endler keepers and breeders will disagree that it's got endler traits.
Maybe you can try to focus on wild guppies and pure endlers more and become aware of the differences.
Also depending on the wild guppy species, coloration can be metallic. So, the metallic shine is not only present in pure endlers but also in certain wild guppies.

I could be wrong but I think that your remark is based on the hybrid versions that are sold widely. There are even pure endlers that are just short tailed with no sword marking in their tail. For instance the El tiger endler or the Campoma nr. 42. But there are more pure endlers that don't have a sword or doubleswords....
John58ford said:
It does look like a wild guppy mutt. The only traits I can identify that would lead me to say it looks to be hybrid-cross with endler are the nice metallic greens that seem to be a bit washed out in your photos. Again though, greens are found in wild guppy strains as well, and the rest of this fish's features are pretty similar to wild guppy.

I do hybrid cross wild guppy with designer endlers and it can be very interesting to see what features carry through, whenever I get something interesting, emeraldking is my go to in associating the dominant traits of a specimen. I'm definitely no professional.
It does look like a wild type mutt guppy indeed...
chromedome52 said:
I think you should be made aware that you are arguing with a world recognized expert on this particular group of livebearers. Emeraldking/Stan De Jong's guppies have been famous for decades. I would dare say you should try to learn from what he posted, as there is no doubt of his experience.
Oh, thank you for the compliment. But even I can make mistakes. I'm not arrogant enough to claim that I know everything within this field. But what I notice is that a lot of people determine small and slender guppies or guppies with doubleswords as being endler. Which is incorrect. You should look at the traits and markings. And to a lot of people the main differences are unknown. But of course, the ultimate difference is their DNA. But that's something we all won't argue.

But btw, ThanksForTalking2Me is entitled to have his/her opnion of course. That should be respected by all means.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom