Can anyone help me identify these parasites?

CJ1138

Reaction score
Hey everyone! We’ve had these weird bluish-grey specks that seem to be alive, in the tank for a little while now. They visibly move, are visible on our silk plants and appear to congregate around any loose food (as in the below image.) I wasn’t worried but we’ve had a few casualties recently (without any changes in tank parameters) and I’m starting to wonder if these guys are to blame! Any help would be much appreciated :)

C7B7EB83-3A88-416E-A933-C6195A35D6AD.jpeg

OP
C

CJ1138

Reaction score
I should say that I assumed they were Amano shrimp eggs at first, as one of our Amanos was carrying eggs and these guys turned up after she stopped. This was a good while ago now though.

Algonquin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Copeopods? If that's what they are, they are harmless... but that looks like A LOT of them... if that's what they are, it would likely indicate you are feeding too much. Let's see what others have to say. :)

OP
C

CJ1138

Reaction score
Algonquin said:
Copeopods? If that's what they are, they are harmless... but that looks like A LOT of them... if that's what they are, it would likely indicate you are feeding too much. Let's see what others have to say. :)
Thank you. Yep the tank is pretty much overrun! As I say, I don't mind if they're harmless but we've lost quite a few fish over the last few months, so if it's not these guys causing problems, I may have other issues.

Algonquin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If that is in fact what they are, it's an indicator of a good, established ecosystem. If you are overrun, then somethings up:)
How long has the tank been running?

OP
C

CJ1138

Reaction score
Since about the start of last November. For a bit more background, at the start of the year we had 2 Thick Lipped Gourami, 6 Cardinal Tetras, 4 Otos and 5 Amanos. Currently down to 4 Tetras, 2 Otos, 0 Gourami and we still have all the shrimp.

The 2 Otos went quite quickly back in Jan (they made short work of the natural algae in the tank, and only the surviving two ever bothered with the wafers.) The rest have been dying off at a rate of about one a month since then. One of the Tetras just vanished, and the other went pale / red gills suddenly and died about two months ago.The first gourami to go swelled suddenly and was dead in the morning about a month ago. The 2nd one didn't swell but was swimming weird and avoiding food for the past couple of days, and was gone this morning. Sorry for the horror story!

Tank is a 15g has been NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 - 20ish whenever I've checked. It's weird because, even with the same species, the symptoms don't seem to be consistent.

Algonquin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmmm I'd hang in and see if you get any other responses about the original question on this post. Maybe post about your tank issues in the Freshwater Fish Disease section, you'll get more responses on that there :)

New Threads