Can Anyone Figure Out What This Is? Help

1. j

jsatya New Member Member

I have a 5 gal Fluval Chi and it's my first tank with only 2 guppies in there now. Recently I have seen a weird black substance on the glass and the rocks. I can't figure out what it is and I don't want to add random chemicals. It flakes off whenever I add some water into the tank but it doesn't seem to be hurting the fish.

Attached Files:

2. akcarroll12

akcarroll12 Valued Member Member

Hi jsatya! That is a hard one to name. Maybe another member can name it. But I can make a few suggestions on how to get rid of it. Is the tank in any direct sunlight? If it is in a window on the sides or in the back, just painting those sides black can be a fix. Also, if you do not have any live plants in your tank, turning off bright tank lights for a few days might clear it up. If the algae is just on the tank glass and not the plants, you can scrape it off with a toothbrush or an algae scraper.

On a whole different matter, guppies tend to like to be in schools (4 minimum, 6 recommended). Also, the best tank size for these fish is a 20 gallon as they can be really active. Please consider getting more guppies and a larger tank for happy, healthy, and potentially old fish.

I really hope this response helps!
    Best,
    akcarroll

3. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

I hope I'm wrong, but that looks like some sort of cyanobacteria. I'm no expert on that.

4. OP
    OP
    j

jsatya New Member Member

First, let me thank you for your help.

The tank is in indirect sunlight (the room the tank is in can get hot and is fairly bright) and whatever it is, is on the front, back, and sides of the tank as well as some on the fake plant and on the gravel. I don't have any live plants in the tank so I will try to turn off the light for a few days and see if that helps. I feel bad turning off the light because I think one of my guppies is afraid of the dark. When the tank is dark he [pure guess] just drop to the bottom and doesn't really swim around as much. The other one seems fine in the dark. Can we pretty much assume that it's some type of algae? And if so, do you think Algaefix or a similar product would help?

I have seen cyanobacteria and I don't think that this is it. This isn't blue or green. This is just plain black.

As far as the size of the tank, once I get this issue cleared up, I do plan on getting a bigger tank and a few more guppies. Perhaps some live plants and a couple shrimps to help keep the tank clean.

Advertisement