Can anybody ID this fish for me please?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
new guess, glass tetra. If not  long-finned characin, but I think it's a glass tetra.

btw: scientific name for glass tetra is Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae, it looks just like yours in the book "Simon&Schuster's Complete Guidt to Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Fishes.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry this book is a little out of date, the common name now for Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae is red-eyed tetra.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
are you sure they're not the radioactive mutant guppies that live in our sewers? I hearby name the mystery fish a new type of Tetra: "The Butterfly Tetra".

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok, maybe this book has it wrong because it sure looks the same with the black mark and all. I'm going to visit my friend at one of my lfs's tomorrow I'll see what they have.

FLBettaCouple said:
are you sure they're not the radioactive mutant guppies that live in our sewers? I hearby name the mystery fish a new type of Tetra: "The Butterfly Tetra".
Maybe you'l have to copywrite that

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
no unfortunately... that one has the spot all the way through the caudle fin. Mine just has the dot where the caudel peduncle and caudel fin begins.
Carol

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Butterfly said:
no unfortunately... that one has the spot all the way through the caudle fin. Mine just has the dot where the caudel peduncle and caudel fin begins.
Carol
you know what? i think that little fish is just being uncooperative! :

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think so too but one of these days.....
Carol

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Butterfly said:
I think so too but one of these days.....
Carol
lol.. maybe the little guy just likes being the first Butterfly Tetra. How many fish folks has he defied in his mystery-ness... what a stinker he is.. maybe he's a betta in disguise?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Closer but the spot just isn't quite it. It's probably a Hemigrammus species of some kind.
Carol

Jacko

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would think that it is the gold tetra that FLbettacouple said, here is a less colorful picture of one:

Donpa

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think that it could be a gold tetra. I read that their gold coloration is due to a skin parasite, so if they are bred in captivity they never get the gold coloration.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom