Can anybody ID this fish for me please?

Butterfly

It has a tiny adipose fin so I figure its some kind of tetra. Its about 3/4 - 1 inch. Its been in this tank for 9 months so I think it's full grown. These were "contaminates" in a shipment of neons at a local fish store and they didn't know what they were either.
Thanks
Carol
ps the white fish is what I need ID'D

onelovie

Not sure about the fish, but are the plants in the background on the second picture real? If so, do you know what they are called? I have a couple of them in my tank and I'm not sure what they are!!!

Butterfly

Onelovie yes its real and that is anacharis. Do you find that yours grows really fast? Mine does and I clip it and plant it. Now I have an anacharis forest
Carol

Craig

Craig

cant spell!! seriously**

fletch

its either congo, silver tip or penguin tetra. Do you have any clearer pics?

Craig

I definitely think its a congo Luke16 has sum

fletch

It looks very similar to all of them. its a blurry pic. It loks exactly like my silver tip but it could be either of the 3. need a clearer pic

onelovie

Butterfly- I've only had my 55 tank set up for about six months and the live plants for about 4-5 months. I have two of the anacharis plants and both have reached the top of the tank! When you clip and replant, is there anything special you have to do? I think I should do that with the tops of both plants!

Butterfly

I just clip it, clean the leaves off what I'm gonna plant and stick it in the substrate.
carol

Isabella

I don't think it's a congo; rather a silver tip. And yes, clearer picture needed.

Butterfly

Fletch it comes closer to the silver tip out of the three you suggested, except mine is white and more slender. actually it looks more like the black line tetra(Hyphessobrycon scholzei) without the line. would like some more but need to know what they are first ;D Thanks everybody.
Carol

Tommy

HI Butterfly. Guessing from this pic it's a silver tip tetra. Can't see well though.

Butterfly

Sorry the pictures not clearer but their fast little boogers LOL
Carol

Luke 16

it either a sliver tipped tetra or a lemon tetra as there called defin not a congo

Butterfly

Definitely not a lemon tetra and is white where the silvertip has a more yellowish color. Just don't know. Wish I did. I want some more!!
carol

Luke 16

I don't kno. Its a new breed

Jessie_Lynn

Jessie_Lynn

go to liveaquaria and you'll be able to identify it.

Butterfly

Thanks Jessie the link says that page is no longer available. I'v looked all through liveaquaria(one of my favorite places to shop) for pictures that match and no luck. They are such lively little things and would love some more for my two to school with. They trade out schooling with the other two schools of tetras in their tank.
I've looked at all the suggestions at the different fish stores I go to and there is always a small difference.
Thanks for keeping on trying to ID them
Carol

joe

do u think this could be it? it said is was called a green fire tetra

joe

I also found another pic that kinda looks like it it's a red eye tetra or glass tetra

Butterfly

Yes Joe the markings are the same but mine is slimmer and doesn't have the red eye of the glass tetra. their really a plain looking fish but their actions are so cute. Thanks
Carol

joe

sorry I couldnt find any more pics that looked like yours

Butterfly

Thanks for trying. We'll figure it out one of these days.
Carol

Jessie_Lynn

Sorry abour that link :-[

tan.b

what a cool little fish! def not a penguin. I have those and they look nowt like that!
I just chop my plants in half when they reach the top of the water and plonk them in the substrate, I don't even trI'm the leaves! they just keep growing!! I bunched a load of the them and floated them for the fry and they love it! certainly good value for money!
good luck with your mystery fish carol!
tan

susitna-flower

Definitely NOT a Congo tetra. I have those, and they are big tetras, about the size of a larger rainbow, and have long flowing fins and tails, and iridescent colors and large scales! But as to what it is ????? Sorry.

Land of the Midnight Sun 8)

Butterfly

Isn't it frustrating? That's the only two I've ever seen.
Carol

COBettaCouple

Do you still have that fish? I see this thread was started way back - it looks like a silver-tip tetra to me.

Butterfly

yep still got them I went to the store and looked at the silver tip tetras and they didn't look the same. and yep this thread gets revived every once in awhile when somebody thinks they know what it is. One of these days maybe we'll get it
Carol

COBettaCouple

and they're not glass/x-ray tetras, right?

Butterfly

Nope, Their not much bigger than neons and shaped about the same. the store owner I got them from had been in business for over twenty years and didn't know what they were. they came in with something he had ordered. they resemble several different fish then when I go look their different. They school with the neons and never bother anybody.
Carol

COBettaCouple

Butterfly said:
Nope, Their not much bigger than neons and shaped about the same. the store owner I got them from had been in business for over twenty years and didn't know what they were. they came in with something he had ordered. they resemble several different fish then when I go look their different. They school with the neons and never bother anybody.
Carol
I HAVE IT! They're the fish aliens! Hiding in your tank!

Oh.. do you have a current pic of the mystery fish?

Butterfly

That's the best pic I have sorry. They are fast little buggers. Besides all my fish are vacationing at Dino's fish house for a bit.
Carol

Butterfly

The golden tetra is closest but there is no color on them at all except the spot on the caudal peduncle.
Carol

COBettaCouple

Butterfly said:
The golden tetra is closest but there is no color on them at all except the spot on the caudal peduncle.
Carol
grrr.. thought I had it with the golden, went thru pics of what I thought was every tetra looking for any with black spots at that spot on the end of their body or middle of the tail fin.

atmmachine816

atmmachine816

new guess, glass tetra. If not  long-finned characin, but I think it's a glass tetra.

btw: scientific name for glass tetra is Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae, it looks just like yours in the book "Simon&Schuster's Complete Guidt to Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Fishes.

atmmachine816

Sorry this book is a little out of date, the common name now for Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae is red-eyed tetra.

Butterfly

No red eyes, sorry
Carol

COBettaCouple

are you sure they're not the radioactive mutant guppies that live in our sewers? I hearby name the mystery fish a new type of Tetra: "The Butterfly Tetra".

Butterfly

LOL
Carol

atmmachine816

Ok, maybe this book has it wrong because it sure looks the same with the black mark and all. I'm going to visit my friend at one of my lfs's tomorrow I'll see what they have.

FLBettaCouple said:
are you sure they're not the radioactive mutant guppies that live in our sewers? I hearby name the mystery fish a new type of Tetra: "The Butterfly Tetra".
Maybe you'l have to copywrite that

Marc

Looks similiar to a Hemigrammus micropterus. ()

Definitely seems like a Hemigrammus sp., but FishBase is going VERY slowly so it's making it difficult to check.

COBettaCouple

That does look like the 'Butterfly Tetra'.. has the mystery fish finally been ID'd?

Butterfly

no unfortunately... that one has the spot all the way through the caudle fin. Mine just has the dot where the caudel peduncle and caudel fin begins.
Carol

COBettaCouple

Butterfly said:
no unfortunately... that one has the spot all the way through the caudle fin. Mine just has the dot where the caudel peduncle and caudel fin begins.
Carol
you know what? I think that little fish is just being uncooperative! :

Butterfly

I think so too but one of these days.....
Carol

COBettaCouple

Butterfly said:
I think so too but one of these days.....
Carol
lol.. maybe the little guy just likes being the first Butterfly Tetra. How many fish folks has he defied in his mystery-ness... what a stinker he is.. maybe he's a betta in disguise?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom