Can anybody ID this fish for me please?

1. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

It has a tiny adipose fin so I figure its some kind of tetra. Its about 3/4 - 1 inch. Its been in this tank for 9 months so I think it's full grown. These were "contaminates" in a shipment of neons at a local fish store and they didn't know what they were either.
    Thanks
    Carol
    ps the white fish is what I need ID'D

Attached Files:

2. onelovie Member Member

Not sure about the fish, but are the plants in the background on the second picture real? If so, do you know what they are called? I have a couple of them in my tank and I'm not sure what they are!!!

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Onelovie yes its real and that is anacharis. Do you find that yours grows really fast? Mine does and I clip it and plant it. Now I have an anacharis forest :)
    Carol

4. Craig Well Known Member Member

congo tetra!! lol no but seriuosly its a congo tetra

5. Craig Well Known Member Member

cant spell!! :D :D seriously**

6. fletch Member Member

its either congo, silver tip or penguin tetra. Do you have any clearer pics?

7. Craig Well Known Member Member

i definately think its a congo Luke16 has sum

8. fletch Member Member

It looks very similar to all of them. its a blurry pic. It loks exactly like my silver tip but it could be either of the 3. need a clearer pic

9. onelovie Member Member

Butterfly- I've only had my 55 tank set up for about six months and the live plants for about 4-5 months. I have two of the anacharis plants and both have reached the top of the tank! When you clip and replant, is there anything special you have to do? I think I should do that with the tops of both plants!

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I just clip it, clean the leaves off what I'm gonna plant and stick it in the substrate.
    carol

11. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think it's a congo; rather a silver tip. And yes, clearer picture needed.

12. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Fletch it comes closer to the silver tip out of the three you suggested, except mine is white and more slender. actually it looks more like the black line tetra(Hyphessobrycon scholzei) without the line. would like some more but need to know what they are first ;D Thanks everybody.
    Carol

13. Tommy Initiate Member

Hi Butterfly. Guessing from this pic it's a silver tip tetra. Can't see well though.

14. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry the pictures not clearer but their fast little boogers LOL
    Carol

15. Luke 16 Initiate Member

it either a sliver tipped tetra or a lemon tetra as there called defin not a congo

16. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Definately not a lemon tetra and is white where the silvertip has a more yellowish color. Just don't know. Wish i did. I want some more!!
    carol

17. Luke 16 Initiate Member

I dont kno. Its a new breed :eek:

18. Jessie_Lynn Member Member

19. Jessie_Lynn Member Member

20. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks Jessie the link says that page is no longer available. I'v looked all through liveaquaria(one of my favorite places to shop) for pictures that match and no luck. They are such lively little things and would love some more for my two to school with. They trade out schooling with the other two schools of tetras in their tank. :D
    I've looked at all the suggestions at the different fish stores I go to and there is always a small difference.
    Thanks for keeping on trying to ID them :D
    Carol