Can Any Ram Owners Help Me With This Situation?

Megaanemp

Feohw
jmaldo
coralbandit

Hello,

This is kinda long. I would very much appreciated it if you have experience with Bolivian Rams if you could read through and weigh in.

I am having some aggression issues with my Bolivian Rams, let me explain...
For 8 months I had 2 breeding pairs of rams in a heavily planted 75 gallon with lots of territories and plants to break up lines of sight. Both pairs got on well for 7 months. Lets call them Pair A and Pair B.

About 4 weeks ago the male from Pair B decided he wanted to steal the female form Pair A. She wanted no part of this and was always trying desperately to escape Male B. Male B was guarding female A, AND his original partner Female B. Male B was starting to do some serious damage to male A who is peaceful to a fault and would not stand up for himself.

I decided to pull male B from the tank. He resided in a 10 gal alone for about 3-5 days while I set him up a new 20 gallon long. Males B’s former partner female B was not doing well since he was removed she was stressed and started acting aggressively towards Pair A (very unlike her) so I pulled female B and added her to the 10 gallon with male B.

Later that day I added both at the same time into the new 20 gallon long. I then added a school of corydoras and a school of ember tetras, despite the dither fish the two where still very afraid and were always huddled together. Over the next couple weeks Pair B were still very dark but started to come out of their shells a little. I mean they just had their whole world turned upside down.

About 7 days ago they laid eggs, did very well working together to protect them. However, they ate the wrigglers as they hatched which is very unlike this pair they are very good parents. I am guessing this was due to the stress of the new environment. Anyways just last night Male B started bullying female B. She is now hidden behind the sponge filter in the very back corner of the tank and if she comes out Male B starts chasing her all over until she goes back to her corner.

She has suffered no injuries but I am very worried about the stress she is under. Both rams are still quite dark coloured. Male B seems to be especially concerned with guarding his rock hide.

What do you think I should do? Do I let them have time to work out this situation? The tank has a lot of cover. Do I change the layout? Also note the male is showing zero aggression towards the schooling fish. This is obvious a very stressful situation for the two of them.

Attachments

• 19308B2D-DDA3-4641-99D5-398DD38FFB22.jpeg
    19308B2D-DDA3-4641-99D5-398DD38FFB22.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 18

jmaldo

Hmm...
I suppose the stress of all the changes could be the problem. Give it some time, leave the tank as is, no more changes and monitor. Just a side note, with my pairs the male will always want to breed and pester the female. When she is ready she will.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Hmm...
I suppose the stress of all the changes could be the problem. Give it some time, leave the tank as is, no more changes and monitor. Just a side note, with my pairs the male will always want to breed and pester the female. When she is ready she will.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the reply. I’ll keep monitoring closely, hopefully they work this out! My males do usually bug the females a bit as well, this is just way worse than normal. However, still no visible damage done.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Update: looks like my female put the male in his place a ltitle but. I went to check on them and found him with a tear in his pectoral fin and he is suddenly being a lot more tolerant of her. Looks promising to me!

Upvote 0

jake37

Don't panic if a little fungus forms on the tear and don't treat immediately give it a couple of weeks to see if it goes away on its own - it should. Also when a pair forms the pair might 'destory' the third... just be aware as you will likely have to remove her if she can't find sufficient hiding spot.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Don't panic if a little fungus forms on the tear and don't treat immediately give it a couple of weeks to see if it goes away on its own - it should. Also when a pair forms the pair might 'destory' the third... just be aware as you will likely have to remove her if she can't find sufficient hiding spot.
Thanks for the reply! It’s only the 2 rams in the tank. The male was really bullying the female yesterday. But I think she finally stood up for herself resulting in the torn fin on the male. The two are now resting within eye sight of one another with no issues. Hopefully that continues! Much better than yesterday at least. I’ll keep an eye on his fin but I don’t think it’ll be much of a problem. The Corys I added to the tank came from the store with their barbels worn almost completely down so I am doing multiple 30% water changes a week to keep the water extra clean to help them grow back but this should also help the ram make a speedy recovery.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TClare
  • Question
Replies
Views
Dunk2
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank New Bolivian Ram
Replies