Can any one identify this fish no idea

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by cwboot73, Aug 8, 2015.

1. cwboot73New MemberMember

uploadfromtaptalk1439012823723.jpguploadfromtaptalk1439012860125.jpg
    It's about 15 too 20cm long

2. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Looks like a blue convict cichlid to me, however I'm not a cichlid man myself.

3. biller

billerWell Known MemberMember

Some kind of convict hybrid

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    c

cwboot73New MemberMember

Thanks it's quite big so it looks like a convict cichlid

5. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

How big?
    hampalong will probably be able to help.

6. OP
    OP
    c

cwboot73New MemberMember

It's nearly20 cm

7. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Convict hybrid. Maybe Convict x Texas?

8. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Convict x Jack Dempsey maybe too.

Some examples of Con hybrids here,

I'd say it's either Convict x Texas or Convict x Jack Dempsey.

9. OP
    OP
    c

cwboot73New MemberMember

Okay thanks both seem very possible because of the size it is at nearly20 cm
    Again thanks for the help

10. Plecomaker

PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

I suspect texas genetics personally, maye all three lol.

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I would agree convict hybrid.... whatever with, it's a beautiful fish.

12. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Female Convicts were once called the "s" of Central American Cichlids. I've even seen them spawning with Tilapia (now Pelmatolapia) mariae. Eggs were not viable though.

No telling what it was crossed with, but yeah, I'd say there's some convict, possibly HRP, in there.

13. Plecomaker

Im still going with texas convict, iv seen one that looks alot like this one.

14. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishesValued MemberMember

I have no idea, but what a beautiful fish, looks like it has the milky way on its side.

15. Merri68

Merri68Valued MemberMember

Whatever the little fella is, he's sure a handsome guy. I only recently learned that some species can interbreed. Are the resultant progeny always able to reproduce? Or are they mostly sterile like lygers or horse/donkey hybrids?

16. Plecomaker

Ligers are not all sterile, i believ not all combos of cichlids are sterile either.

17. Merri68

Merri68Valued MemberMember

Yes, there are occasional incidences of hybids being fertile.. But if I remember correctly it's not the norm... Cool though..that at least a few can. One thing for sure.. The fish in this particular thread is gorgeous!

18. chromedome52

Actually, most combinations of Central American Cichlids are fertile. There's a whole industry that has built up around this fact: the Flowerhorn fad. These are all hybrids of various CA Cichlids. In a general sense, the fish above would be classified as some type of Flowerhorn.

Cichlids are actually very much interfertile within subfamilies, and occasionally across subfamily lines.

19. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that most (if not all) flowerhorns have Midas in them. Most of them are hybrids from within the same family. What we see in them today (the bumpy head, aggression, etc) is mostly the result of linebreeding. I have yet to see a low-grade flowerhorn that didn't scream Midas cichlid to me in appearance.

20. chromedome52

Yes, they are all in the same family. It's called Cichlidae. I believe you were thinking of Genus, but intergeneric hybrids are also common, becoming a big thing with the Flowerhorn people. There is another classification, called subfamily, that falls between the two. Crosses across these lines are less common and more likely to be infertile.

The first flowerhorns were crosses of Amphilophus trimaculatus and other species, most often A. lyonsi. A. citrinellus and labiatus are used for some forms, such as Red Texas, which is an intergeneric hybrid, but they really aren't used for that many types. It wasn't being used much in the early flowerhorns. More recently, some species currently placed in the Genera Paratheraps and Vieja are being added into the breeding mix.

All of these species naturally grow nuchal humps, but for some reason it has the potential to be much bigger in the hybrids. Line breeding from there can increase it to insane levels.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice