Can Anubias Grow Emersed/immersed?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Hipsterkipster, May 26, 2018.

1. H

Hipsterkipster New Member Member

Hello, I made an impulse buy when I visited the pet store today. Out of all things to impulsively buy, I bought anubias and I have absolutely no idea what to do with it right now.

It's too small right now to be placed in the 55 gallon, but I won't have another tank ready for another 3-4 months.

Can I grow it in a pot of soil until I can submerge it? How would I plant the roots but not the rhizome?

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Yes, the easiest thing to do is get a tupperware container, fill it with an inch or two of soil, wet the soil so it's almost a mud-like consistency, and place the rhizome on top. If there are any roots you can tuck those into the dirt, as long as the rhizome sits on top of the soil. Cover with plastic wrap and mist it daily, and leave a little space in the wrap to allow for air flow :)

3. OP
    OP
    H

Thank you! When I submerge it later, would I need to cut the roots for new ones to grow?

4. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

You can trim the roots but probably won't need to. The roots only help the plant stay in place. The nutrients are absorbed through the leaves and the rhizome. I superglued mine to a small rock and then buried the rock into the gravel so the top of it barely sticks out and the rhizome is fully exposed. The plant is growing well.

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

It's easier for planting and stimulates new growth if you do. I believe anubias roots also absorb nutrients, not just leaves.

6. OP
    OP
    H

Thank you! I'll try sanding out some parts in the driftwood, placing some soil in it, and let the anubias grow into it. :)

7. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

You don't need the soil.

8. OP
    OP
    H

Oh no, I'm leaving it immersed for a while. I might as well grow it on the driftwood and submerge both later. I'm not sure if the roots will dig into driftwood when immersed, but I guess I can figure that out later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice