Can angels and discus be kept together?

1. J

Jasonnnnnnnz Valued Member Member

Hi guys I wonder if I was able to keep 2 2 inch angels with 2 3 inch discus (baby) and maybe my 2 other 3 inch rainbows could join them? I'm worried a fight would happen tanks.
    20g

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Not in a 20 gallon tank, it's too small for either of those fish imo & angels being cichlids can be aggressive & would stress the discus out in such a small space

3. OP
    OP
    J

^its a pretty heavily planted tank. My angels are peaceful and always kept to them selves. The only thing is that my rainbows keep chasing each other at time but are fine on n off. 20g is what I have ATM and will upgrade in the near future or rehome fishes that needs a bigger tank. If in worst cases I have a fish dam in my farm, but that would defiantly be the last choice. The dam seem to have good water as family members bring their bettas which out grown their bowls and relocates them in my farm dam. Only thing I worry is the aggression levels. Thanks

4. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

You have absolutely no chance in a 20g. Discus grow 6-7", need to be kept in a group, and need space, so you'll need at least 100g and 5-6 discus or more.

Most wild discus communities contain a few Angels, but you'll need an even bigger tank for this, because the Angels will probably breed (or want to) and this will make them territorial.

5. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Bettas that outgrow their bowls??

6. OP
    OP
    J

Like the little USB plug in pen holder bowls