Can amano shrimp go in this tank?

AggressiveAquatics

I don’t see why you can’t add them. And are you taking about adding them now or when it’s done cycling. Next time you go to the store maybe get some zucchini for them also

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I don’t see why you can’t add them. And are you taking about adding them now or when it’s done cycling. Next time you go to the store maybe get some zucchini for them also
I am adding them when it is done cycling. It will be two large Amano shrimp. I will pick up some zucchini from the grocery store. IDK if it's enough food for them and they might not molt correctly because they won't have enough minerals. It's fine if I can't add them.

richiep
and
mattgirl

Can you guys help?

Upvote 0

richiep

I would give it about 2weeks after your cycle as finished if your patience can hold up and give the tank a little time to settle with fish in it, feeding zucchini once a week will be fine, ammano shrimp are by far a very hardy group and I can't see you having problems,

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I would give it about 2weeks after your cycle as finished if your patience can hold up and give the tank a little time to settle with fish in it, feeding zucchini once a week will be fine, ammano shrimp are by far a very hardy group and I can't see you having problems,
okay thank you! Also, my water is quite soft should I add crushed coral to help with molting?

Upvote 0

richiep

Saying soft dosnt really help, to give a correct answer we need numbers

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Saying soft dosnt really help, to give a correct answer we need numbers
I don't have a gh/kh test kit, I need to get one. The API freshwater test kit doesn't have it.....

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

Hi guys, I have 20 gallon planted tank that is currently cycling. I was thinking of adding amano shrimp. The only food I can feed them is omega one shrimp pellets and repashy soilent green. Will those two foods be enough for them?
Don’t get them if it’s uncycled I never feed my shrimp and they are fine

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Don’t get them if it’s uncycled I never feed my shrimp and they are fine
I will wait for it to cycle when it is done I will add them. Also, what shrimp do you have? How much algae is in your tank?

Upvote 0

NoahLikesFish

Ghost shrimp 1 of them and there’s a bit of algae and it just eats the flakes I feed the fish and algae

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Ghost shrimp 1 of them and there’s a bit of algae and it just eats the flakes I feed the fish and algae
oh, okay, nice.

Upvote 0

RonDarcy

Amano eat algae, dying plant leaves, and left over fish food. I have 4 amano shrimp in my 20 gallon planted tank with rocks and driftwood. I bought them 3 months after the tank was cycled. Driftwood was covered in slime and algae, and plants were getting staghorn algae. They cleaned everything up. They keep the algae at bay and now come out for fish food when I feed them. I never fed the amano anything. They usually molt after a water change. I leave in the molt as they will eat it to help with calcium to regrow the new shell. I used to drop I baked egg shells, but nothing seemed to want it. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Amano eat algae, dying plant leaves, and left over fish food. I have 4 amano shrimp in my 20 gallon planted tank with rocks and driftwood. I bought them 3 months after the tank was cycled. Driftwood was covered in slime and algae, and plants were getting staghorn algae. They cleaned everything up. They keep the algae at bay and now come out for fish food when I feed them. I never fed the amano anything. They usually molt after a water change. I leave in the molt as they will eat it to help with calcium to regrow the new shell. I used to drop I baked egg shells, but nothing seemed to want it. Hope this helps.
Thank you!

This helped a lot, thanks, guys!

Upvote 0

Convoluted77

FWIW my amanos(and other shrimp and snails) pretty much drop every thing they are doing and attack the heck out of soilent green.I have plenty of algae but its stil fun to watch them all go bananas every now and then.

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

FWIW my amanos(and other shrimp and snails) pretty much drop every thing they are doing and attack the heck out of soilent green.I have plenty of algae but its stil fun to watch them all go bananas every now and then.
hahaha, one care guide said they are quick they will be the first ones to swim right to the food, they are quite voracious.

Upvote 0

sinned4g63

It's always nice having options for the shrimp or any fish IMO. But as stated above you don't really have to feed them much, they will eat pretty much anything and keep your tank clean while doing so. I almost never vacuum my sand in the tank with Amano shrimp because it's so clean and they get all the left overs. I would recommend some Zucchini as it's easy to keep and blanche for a nutritious meal (my SAE love it too), and it wouldn't hurt to get some omnivore pellets for them as well for protein and minerals which can help molting if you're concerned. I usually like to add a thumb tip sized piece of cuttlebone as well for another source of minerals, it can also grow biofilm which they will also eat.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Broggy
  • Question
Replies
Views
mrsP
Replies
Views