Can all of these fish go into a 55 gal?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by zakocsm, Jul 20, 2015.

1. z

zakocsm Valued Member Member

Hello,
    I am decently new to the aquarium community but I have a question. I have owned a couple aquariums in the past, but I wanted to possibly start a new, big aquarium.
    This is my list of things, and I would love to have some feedback or verification to make sure all of these creatures can live and thrive with each other. Thanks!

AQUARIUM FISH:
    12 Cardinal Tetra's (Should I do Neon's instead?)
    1 Black Ghost Knife Fish
    2 Boesemani Rainbow Fish
    2 African Dwarf Frogs (Already Have)
    2 Angelfish
    1 Bristlenose Plecostomus
    MAYBE: 6 Golden White Cloud Danio's (This is just a maybe. Not sure about them just yet.)

MIGHT Add Moonlight (My female betta) to the mix if she is peaceful enough with the other fish. Might need to get a younger one though for them to not fight.

55 Gallon Tank
    Aquaclear 110 Filter
    Hydor Theo 300 Watt Heater
    50 Pounds of Gravel
    Lots of live grass plant, some real plants and maybe also some silk plants
    Decoration, also possibly a big hallowed log (Plastic) for the Black Ghost Knife Fish
    Thermometer
    Master Test Kit for PH and Nitrates ETC. ECT.

Anything else I might need? Reccomendations? Comments? Put them all down below, thank you so much! :)

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Black ghost knife fish grow too large to be in a 55 gal. They're recommended for larger tanks, around 150 gals.

The ADF won't do well in a 55 gal. They need to be able to swim to the surface easily, and the water is too high in a 55 gal. They also do best in species only tanks. You could keep them in their own 5 or 10 gal with a slightly lower water level.

Your betta likely won't do well in such a large community tank either. She might be best in a 5 or 10 gal by herself.

I don't know too much about the compatibilities for the other fish you listed, but other members will chime in with some great info soon!

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Some of your fish will not work with the others. Angelfish require warmer temperatures (80-82), the Boesemani require 81-86, the cardinal tetras and white cloud danios require cooler temperatures, 75 degrees or less. African dwarf frogs really belong in a species-only tank as they will be outcompeted for food and will starve as a result. BGKs get way too big for a 55, they need at least a 125 gallon I think. Boesemani's also are schooling fish and need at least a group of 6+. It's not smart to add a betta to any community tank, the risk is just too big for something wrong to happen.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    Some of those species might not work. African dwarf frogs need to be in their own tank, they have weak eye sight so they might not be able to compete for food with other fish. The tetras are a good choice. The rainbows are schooling fish which require 6+ of their own. I don't know about the black ghost knife fish, I think they get pretty big and might eat the smaller tetras.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

cardinal tetra are hardier than neons, I would stick with the cardinals.
    55 is too small for a black ghost knife.
    Boesmani need at least 6 in a school

Otherwise you sound okay I think. Don't add your betta she likely won't do well with the fast moving rainbows and aggressive angles.

6. Dom90

Man, none of you other guys are even taking temperature requirements for these fish, only schooling requirements... tsktsk!

7. AquaticBrandon

Cardinal tetras do well in higher temps, so they should be fine with the rainbows. I wouldn't add the BGK, betta, and the ADF's

8. OP
    OP
    z

Thank you for all the replys!
    I have a spare 5 gallon with a heater and filter already from a previous couple of fish and I can keep the two dwarf frogs in there. That should work out great. The black ghost knife fish will probably outgrow the 55 gallon, you are right. How fast will they outgrow that tank? Also, would 6 rainbows even fit in a 55 gal
    Thanks everyone!

9. Dom90

Yes 6 rainbows will fit in a 55 gallon. If you are worrying about how fast the BGK will grow and if you need to upgrade tank, it's better not to get the fish until you have the correct tank for the adult size first.

I'm gonna add that the cardinal tetras MAY be eaten by angelfish. Angelfish will try to eat whatever fits into their mouths, including 2" cardinals.

10. AquaticBrandon

Yes the dwarf frogs should be fine in the 5 gallon tank. Don't know how fast the BGK grows, but the rainbows should be fine in the 55 gallon. I believe that's their minimum

11. OP
    OP
    z

Dom90 if none of these fish are really compatible, then what would be a good setup? My most wanted fish to have in my next aquarium would be the BGK fish. I love them and a friend has one so I know a bit about them, and they are also very pretty and nice fish.

12. Dom90

Hrm, I would suggest you start off with a 125 or 150 gallon tank then...

13. AquaticBrandon

Well you can keep the rainbows and tetras. So you can have a good community tank setup. A planted tank would look good :). But if you do want a BGK, then I would start off with a larger tank like Dom suggested

14. OP
    OP
    z

Alright, maybe no black knife fish right now because I would NEVER be able to fit a 150 gal in my house. I just don't really have any space to put it. The most space I have is a VERY sturdy drawer dresser up in my bedroom, which is what I Have my current tank on. It is 19in x 62 in. The dresser of course, not the tank.

15. TexasDomer

You shouldn't keep that knife fish in the 55 gal until you think he's "outgrown" it. It'd still be stressful for him. I would just avoid them completely. There are other predatory species that you might enjoy instead? You could consider a dwarf cichlid like the kribensis, the African Butterfly fish, a Leopard Ctenopoma, or a zig zag yellow tail eel. The dwarf cichlids and the ABF shouldn't bother your tetra, but I'm not sure about the Ctenopoma or the eel.

16. Dom90

Ok so here goes... Angelfish, school of Boesemani Rainbowfish... if you really wanted tetras, the only ones I can suggest are school of Congos, they grow up to 4", so they wont get eaten by the angels.

17. OP
    OP
    z

I do like african butterfly fish, but I just love the way the BGK looks and the way it swims. What about some tetras, some african butterflys, angelfish and rainbowfish? I could maybe, possibly fit a 125-150 gal, but I don't know if I could even afford one.

18. OP
    OP
    z

Ah, I have actually heard of congos. Are there any other kinds of fish that I could add to the aquarium later if I ever decide to upgrade the tank size? And if I ever get a 150, would I be able to add a BGK fish?

19. TexasDomer

I would only get 1 ABF for a 55 gal. They stay on the surface, and can get territorial with other ABFs over surface space.

Stick with the tank size you can afford. It gets expensive. Don't overwhelm yourself by getting a large tank that costs a lot of money in upkeep. A 55 gal is a great beginner size if you want to go big.

And yes, a 150 gal would work for a BGKF.

20. OP
    OP
    z

Yea. Thats what I was thinking. I dont really want to go over 75 gallons, and I could go with what Dom90 said, that is a pretty good setup. Could I add an ABF to that setup, do you think?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice