Can Activated Carbon Remove Chlorine And Chloramines?

1. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Often times, I hear people say carbon won’t remove chlorine or chloramines. In short, yes, it can, and quite effectively too, although it’s better at removing the former than the latter.

2. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

If it's in the water for the carbon to remove it's already actively killing your bacteria.

3. OP
    OP
    scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, I’m not recommending anyone actually not use a dechlorinator. I’m just busting another common myth in this hobby. For what purpose, if not actually suggesting people not use a water condotioner? For the sake of facts. The truth matters to me a lot.

I’ve actually seen some filters setup where the activated carbon came before the biomedia. To be honest, I still wouldn’t feel comfortable or 100 percent confident that all the water will go through the carbon first.

4. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

Im glad someone else is saying it besides me. Carbon does remove chlorine. Its about one of the few things it does but it does that well. That being said it shouldnt be used in lieu of dechlorination solution. Those carbon pads are sold to the masses as a cureall and they just arent at all.