Can A Whisper Pump Be Used Outside?

Discussion in 'Air Pumps' started by Mom2some, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

I have a Whisper 20 pump I inherited when I bought my tank second hand. Could I use it outside to power a small fountain on the deck during the warm months? Do we think it is rain proof? I can't figure it out from an online search.
    Thanks for your thoughts...

2. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

Do what I did....get a super long air pump line and run it out the window to the fountain (that way you don't have to worry about if it is water proof or not) :)

3. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

I doubt it's rainproof. If you could put it somewhere it was covered and stayed dried maybe it would be ok. But I would think the inside would slowly start rusting over time. May want to get an outdoor specific model that has been weatherproofed.

4. OP
    OP
    Mom2some

Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

A good idea, but logistically not ideal in this situation. :) I will think about it however...

5. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

Hmm, if you could create a seal over it and under it (rubber maid container with squishy plastic door insulation at the bottom, screwed in to wood with a tiny hole to allow the tube to come out (caulking around the tube).

Hope that makes sense, it was what came into my head when I was trying to figure out what else you could do lol.

6. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

Is power available where you want it?

7. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

I've used them on a patio through the winter so they can be outside; they're not rain proof though. A couple of stray raindrops is one thing but I doubt it would survive a downpour.

8. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

I put an indoor pump like this in a container that won't get wet inside. In other words, there is some kind of overhang on the top so that rain water just drops off the side of the container, rather than into the container. However, the extension cord that is used to get power to the pump, may be something that is considered not permanent. Even the warnings on these cords, tell that it should not be a permanent solution to get electricity somewhere. So just be aware of that. In my case, I use it on a seasonal basis, and the pump or extension cord is not outside year-round.

Some protection should be provided for such an extension cord or air pump.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice