Can a veteran suggest a Canister Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honos

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Veterans of Fishlore,

Can you suggest a Canister Filter for a 30 gallon freshwater tank? I've had HOB filters in the past and want something quieter. I've read canister filters are much quieter than HOB so I'm going to give it a go. What brand do you suggest and model for my 30 gallon tanks?

Thanks in advance!

Honos

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Honos, welcome to Fishlore

Eheim 2213 or 2215 would be great. But it depends what stock you have in the tank and the associated bio-load.

Some members swear by the Sun Sun filters, which are much cheaper, and do a great job from all reports.

OP
H

Honos

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is it still recommended I have a filter that has gallons per hour (gph) 8 to 10 times my tank size? In the case of a 30 gallon tank that would be 240 to 300 gph flow. I have seen ehiem classic filters mentioned in other threads so I'm going to check them out on amazon. Thanks ryanr!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For a canister (depending on stocking), you can go as low as 5x turnover, I recommend about 6x as a minimum.
Canisters hold more media, and are generally more efficient, so the need for high turnover is not there.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had a Fluval 105 - I liked it for the most part. In some ways more versatile than an Eheim Classic, but also less efficient (more bypass)

I haven't used the 306, so not really sure.

OP
H

Honos

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for your tips. I'm going to check the local fish store tomorrow to see what's in stock. So in recap a canister filter is more efficient than a HOB, thus I could use a gph that is at least 6x my tank size. You recommend the Ehiem classic. Thanks!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on your stocking!

What is in the tank already, or what do you intend to keep?

Oh - and Eheim aren't the cheapest filters on the market, just be prepared for that (and are generally a lot cheaper online)

matsungit

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a Grech GW-304B (same as Sunsun HW-304B and Aquatop CF-500UV). 4 media trays with 9W UV. Bought it at $90 from eBay but I picked it up local. 530gph for my 60gal tank. It's awesome!

kevin215

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm running a fluval 206 on my 29 it is does a great job filtration wise. A few small things to be aware of before you purchase one. One is the price I paid around $120 , I know you can find a sun-sun for around 90. Also the fluval filters do not come with a lot of bio media,the basket is half full, so you might want to pick up another box of bio media when you get one. Also the flow is adjustable so if you have to you can turn it down a little so it wont push your fish around.

3aquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I use eheim classic on one tank and find it hardest to prime. The other tanks have SunSun (instructions are impossible to understand, I had to come on this forum and get help with it) and one more tank with an eheim ecco that self primes. Overall I like the ecco best because the primeing is easy. eheim filters come with media, sunsun doesn't usually. Mine is from ebay.

shellieca

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently set up a Fluval 306 on my 46g & love it. The only noise I hear is the water falling back into the tank which I like. It was easy to set up & is easy to clean when need be. The flow is easily adjustable. I'm going to swap out the carbon for poly fill here shortly. When I set up the filter I cut pieces of my existing HOB filter pad & put them in the carbon basket & the tank had a one day mini cycle, showed small traces of nitrites & has been fine ever since.

OP
H

Honos

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I found a clearance Fluval 305 at my LFS for $40. It's brand new still in the box. I'm thinking of buying it instead of spending $100 on a new Ehiem or more current Fluval.

In all honesty do you think that's too much filter for my 30 gallon tank? I am slightly concerned about too strong of current, but $40 for a brand new (albeit the old model) canister filter seems awesome.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would JUMP on that. It will be perfect for your tank. If you find it's too much current, there is an adjuster that will restrict the flow.

cichlidmac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also use a marineland c series it has 4 chambers and came packed with media (I have trouble getting all the bio balls back in), it also has almost 0 bypass I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Weekly

Votes: 46 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 13 18.6%

Top Bottom