Can A Seeded 20gal Sponge Filter Help To Seed A 55gal Tank? Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Krest, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Krest

KrestNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    I recently (July27) set up a 55gal tank it currently has a new TopFin Silentstream 75 Power Filter and a new **** Hydro Sponge Filter #5 Combo. Currently there are no fish in the tank and I have been ‘feeding’ the tank daily as well as adding Seachem Stability.

I also have a fully cycled 3.5gal with an Aquaneat Aquarium Bio Sponge Filter (20 Gal) there is also a heater set to around 76*F. This tank has two Guppies and two 1inch Peppered Corys and 5 1inch mossballs.

Both tanks have heaters set to keep water around 76*F and both tanks have sand substrate. ph on both is around 7.6-8.

My question is..

If I move everything from my 3.5gal to my 55gal (including mossballs, fish, sponge filter, and sand) will this cycle my 55gal tank enough for my fish to survive while the two new filters colonize bb?

Thanks!

2. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,402
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It should be close. The bacteria should catch up long before it becomes Any were near toxic in the 55.

3. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Yes, in fact that would be the ideal thing to do.
    The sponge filter is able to process all the waste your current fish create. So whether the fish are in 3.5g or in 55g, the sponge filter can still process the same amount. Eventually, the 3 filters currently running on the 55g will pick up (almost all) of the bioload and the sponge filter can be removed (if you want), but during the transfer of bacteria, your fish will be completely safe because anything the 3 filters do not process, the sponge filter will.

4. OP
    OP
    Krest

KrestNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you!

Thanks, this helped tremendously!