Can a new tank lose it's cycle if no fish are added right away?

1. islanddave Initiate Member

hello,

Like the title asks..can a newly cycled tank lose it's cycle or beneficial bacterial growth, if fish are not added? I am re starting my 125 gallon tank again after a move and am starting from scratch. I will cycle the tank with a bacterial supplement, but wonder if it be ruined if fish are not added in the next month or so?

Thanks

2. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

The bacteria need something to feed off of either fish or ammonia. I believe the due within a few days without food

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Unless the bb in the filter is fed once it's cycled then it'll die off.
    If you're not going to add fish for a month or so then do a fishless cycle using ammonia then if there's any delay in adding fish once cycled you can use the ammonia to feed the bb until you can get fish.

4. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Depending of if, and if so what type of water conditioner you use, I would add an ammonia source as soon as possible. The directions on the bottles of water conditioner and bottled bacteria should be quite straight forward.
    In any case, after your tank has cycled, I would also recommend adding your new fish quite slowly.
    Best of luck, and nice to see you on the site-rick
    You might note that in addition to being brighter than me, Coradee also types faster, which I think most unfair, as I only have the one reliable typing toe:).

5. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

If you do not fully understand the nitrogen cycle (words will be link to artile) please read up on it.

The cycling process doesn't even start until ammonia is present in the water. Once ammonia is present in the water for about 3 weeks, a bacteria will grow in your filter that consumes the ammonia, and releases nitrites. Then after nitrites have been in the water for about 3 weeks, a second bactreia will grow in your filter media that will consume nitrites and release nitrates. Once there is enough bacteria to consume all ammonia and all nitrites, you are cycled.

You can speed up the cycling process up by adding a bottled bactreia. Many of them do not work, but two that I can recommend are Tetra SafeStart and Dr Tim's One & Only. When using a bottle bacteria you need to add fish at the same time, since the ammonia and nitrite are the food source for these bacteria.

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Like the others said, yes it can. I would very much advice clicking on the link provided. The only thing more important to any tank that the nitrogen cycle is water.