Can a mystery grow this fast?

1. MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

5 weeks ago I took pictures of this tiny baby mystery snail snail... a lot of stuff happened since then so I wasn't tank watching very often. Last week I noticed 2 larger brown snails and I was SO shocked.

I did get a couple 'trapdoor' snails a few weeks ago but I saw this larger one use its snorkel and I read trapdoors don't have them.

The plant in both pics is the same one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

Here is a pic of the two big ones and one of the trapdoors I got... it's tiny and is half alive .. I see it on the glass occasionally but usually it's just laying around. There isn't another shell so I'm thinking the solid brown one may be the other trap door. And I'm pretty sure the chestnut with the ivory inlay is a baby of my Destroyer girl (rip )

Attached Files:

3. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

4. MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

I've never seen a mystery snail burrow.... it was a little bit deeper a while ago

Attached Files:

5. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

The two big ones are definitely mystery snails and they do grow fast! And mine used to burrow all the time and I added more shade in my tank using rocks and adding caves and now he no longer burrows. He's probably just trying to get out of the light.

6. xxbyamomentx Member Member

I've never seen mine try to burrow, but I have to use gravel substrate because of my HOB filter. If you're using sand, I've seen sites mention that the mystery snails will burrow. Not sure if the trapdoors will or not, though.

7. MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

Interesting. Well I'm pretty sure they are both mystery snails. It makes me happy because they are most likely the babies of my mama Destroyer who passed a couple weeks ago. She was my oldest and had so much personality <3

8. rainman Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I know that for being squishy derps, they do all get their own little personality and it's hard. In the second picture the light brown one almost has shell whorls like Pomacea canaliculata, but if they were all from the same egg clutch (colored white/grey) they are diffusa. They both look very happy and have healthy happy shells. :)

9. ashleyb Member Member

Oh my gosh.. I will forever refer to my snails as "squishy derps" until the day I die. I am laughing so hard!!