Can A Male Guppy Impregnate A Female Balloon Molly?

Corycat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The guy at my lfs accidentally netted a juvenile guppy and put it in with the fish I was purchasing. He is growing and I notice him messing with my female balloon molly. They are the only livebearers, the rest of the population are dojo loaches and cory cats. Oh and a blushing tetra. Are fry a possibility in this case? I'm not really wanting that, just curious if it is possible.

FishFish221

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nope, but unless the pet store separates males and females, the female is probably already pregnant, especially since they can store sperm for about 5 months.

Corycat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nope, but unless the pet store separates males and females, the female is probably already pregnant, especially since they can store sperm for about 5 months.
Actually yup, when I got her back in April, she gave birth a couple of days later. I was hoping she'd have more but I suppose not. When the times right I'll get a male. Thanks for the reassurance!

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mollies and Guppies can crops, so can Swordtails and Platys. If you're keeping the male, I recommend getting another female. The recommended ratio for livebearers is 1m/2-3f.

Corycat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mollies and Guppies can crops, so can Swordtails and Platys. If you're keeping the male, I recommend getting another female. The recommended ratio for livebearers is 1m/2-3f.
Yes definitely! I'm a big fan of these friendly fish! I'm in tank limbo now. My neighbors have been super sweet and awesome and given me a 90 gallon so when they bring it over (which seems like a daunting task in itself) and I get it up and established I will get where I need to be. Patience in the mean time :/ "The waiting in the hardest part..."

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What?

It is a pretty well-known fact that guppies and mollies can mate and reproduce. The offspring are often deformed, sterile, or just don't live for some unknown reason. But they can definitely reproduce.

That being said, the female balloon molly came to you pregnant. It's almost guaranteed if she came from a petstore that at some point in the last year, she was in contact with a male molly or guppy.

Corycat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What?

It is a pretty well-known fact that guppies and mollies can mate and reproduce. The offspring are often deformed, sterile, or just don't live for some unknown reason. But they can definitely reproduce.

That being said, the female balloon molly came to you pregnant. It's almost guaranteed if she came from a petstore that at some point in the last year, she was in contact with a male molly or guppy.
Eep! It looks as if Mr. Guppy is sniffing around. His little top fin keeps flaring! He's showing off... As for her first batch of fry with me, only 1 has survived. He or she is still smallish and in my 10 gallon. I had put her in the 55 to live originally..put her in the 10 gallon to have birth, then returned her to the 55. All of the inhabitants of the 55 are currently in a 20 high quarantine due to a suspected fluke or some sort of parasite and being treated with Prazipro..that's kinda it's own story but that's the main reason I don't put them in any other tank-I don't think they are infected but I don't want to risk putting them in another tank and contaminating it.

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Guppies and mollies are part of the same genus but they are not the same species. The 2 of them reproducing is the same as a donkey and a horse mating, the 2 can reproduce but the mules they have will always be sterile because the horse and donkey are not the same species.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not all mules are sterile... Just like not all muppies or gollies are sterile.

Corycat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Very interesting stuff. I had an idea it could be possible. Awhile back I had a gold dust molly and a balloon molly mix once, the mix was soooo cute. I'll let you guys know if I see any fry although I hope not given the tank's current situation. It's been very grim. I suppose I could put any potential fry in a breeder box in this qt but I'm unsure how they would fare with this Prazipro treatment...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom