Can a kenyi be kept alone

St3v3

My male kenyi African Cichlid has been aggressive as of recently killing a pearl gourami and seriously injuring my acei cichlid.So I winded up putting him in a separate tank alone (a ten gallon) before you get angry at me this was the only empty tank I had available) and I'm wondering will this be ok for him since he's proving to be to aggressive to keep with my other mbunas.

MacZ

That a pearl gourami shouldn't be kept with Malawis is pretty obvious.

Otherwise keeping Mbuna needs a lot of handpicking specimens and weighing aggression levels against stocking numbers.
There are three possible ways to deal with this: A species tank with only one male and half a dozen females. Secondly alternatively 3-5 males with 6-8 females. And finally a males-only tank with a certain number of fish from species that look least similar if possible.

I'd recommend getting your stocking generally optimised.

But for the problem at hand: I'd rehome that one.

Upvote 1

St3v3

That a pearl gourami shouldn't be kept with Malawis is pretty obvious.

Otherwise keeping Mbuna needs a lot of handpicking specimens and weighing aggression levels against stocking numbers.
There are three possible ways to deal with this: A species tank with only one male and half a dozen females. Secondly alternatively 3-5 males with 6-8 females. And finally a males-only tank with a certain number of fish from species that look least similar if possible.

I'd recommend getting your stocking generally optimised.

But for the problem at hand: I'd rehome that one.
Yeah I am considering rehoming him since I wanted to keep him with acei's and zebra mbuna but after what happened to my acei.I'm starting to get second thoughts with the kenyi specifically.Seems the zebras seem ok with the acei anything else that might be ok with the acei

Upvote 0

FishyLove1

My male kenyi African Cichlid has been aggressive as of recently killing a pearl gourami and seriously injuring my acei cichlid.So I winded up putting him in a separate tank alone (a ten gallon) before you get angry at me this was the only empty tank I had available) and I'm wondering will this be ok for him since he's proving to be to aggressive to keep with my other mbunas.
I get it! And I don't see a problem with it but consider 1 week in it .... Like a one week time out...... Then possibly at your discretion if you want try to add the fish back if he continues put him back in the 10 gallon and leave him there.... I don't think there's anything wrong with that

Upvote 0

MacZ

Time outs are nonsense. They only stress the fish out which makes them a bit passive right after being reintroduced and they revert back to their previous behaviour once the stress is over. A 10gal is too small for a single Malawi cichlid longterm.

Upvote 0

FishyLove1

Time outs are nonsense. They only stress the fish out which makes them a bit passive right after being reintroduced and they revert back to their previous behaviour once the stress is over. A 10gal is too small for a single Malawi cichlid longterm.
Yes long term 10 gallon will need to be upgraded........ I want cichlids one lady says she puts them in timeout was something I heard as of now I have a empty 60 gallon tank due to a severe parasite outbreak......so I am going to be doing a Peacock and Mbuna or Kenyi Cichlid
Not sure which one will go best so I am researching right now on that..... Mbuna or Kenyi Cichlid with my Peacocks at this time I don't know what will work best for me....

Upvote 0

MacZ

M. lombardoi (Kennyi) are a species of Mbuna but not every Mbuna is a M. lombardoi.
I would keep Mbuna only with Mbuna and Peacocks with Haps. The Mbuna diet is not really compatible with the rest.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigBeardDaHuZi
  • Question
Replies
Views
kattiq
Replies
Views