Can a guppy die from not dropping her fry?

FunFish64

I have a female guppy who is definitely pregnant and now at least a month after I thought she was due she still hasn’t dropped. I have checked water, made sure temp was good, etc. she has been fine until today. She is hiding and very still - seeming like she is to trying to push out the fry. I cannot imagine they are still alive by now. What can I do to help her? The photos are from yesterday when she seemed fine. She is twice the size of her sisters.

Attachments

• 173ADEBB-7EB6-4A51-8D2F-C89729FB5275.jpeg
    173ADEBB-7EB6-4A51-8D2F-C89729FB5275.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 5
  • B7816B41-8EB6-4045-A10D-30693B168432.jpeg
    B7816B41-8EB6-4045-A10D-30693B168432.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 5

TheAnglerAquarist

They are usually pregnant for a month and a bit more so I think it is fine

Upvote 0

emeraldking

I have a female guppy who is definitely pregnant and now at least a month after I thought she was due she still hasn’t dropped. I have checked water, made sure temp was good, etc. she has been fine until today. She is hiding and very still - seeming like she is to trying to push out the fry. I cannot imagine they are still alive by now. What can I do to help her? The photos are from yesterday when she seemed fine. She is twice the size of her sisters.
3-4 Weeks of a gestation period is the average time needed. But sometimes it takes longer till even 6-8 weeks in total. It's not weird. And if she has trouble to drop her fry, there's a chance that she might die of it. But there's also a possibility that she may absorb her fry. Absorbing her own fry in her body won't hurt her. But if her vent is internally blocked (which can happen from time to time), she'll most likely die of it.
But I would leave her by herself right now. Just give it some time. She's the only one that will decide when those fry will be born.

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom