can a gourami swallow a golf ball?!? :P

1. rae64 Well Known Member Member

haha i know that they cant, but i went to my lfs and they had 2 thick-lip gouramis that looked like they each had swallowed a golf ball. were they egg-filled? is this normal? they looked so funny with their bulgy bellies.

i do think there was a male in the tank... maybe he has something to do with this....

2. Neji Member Member

The only gourami I know that has a mouth large enough to swallow a golf ball is the Giant Gourami. Other gouramis are way too small to swallow one. Even so... golf balls will kill the fish because they can't digest it.

I hope this helps!

Neji

3. rae64 Well Known Member Member

lol i was just kidding... haha but seriously these thicklip gouramis were very round! was it maybe eggs? kinda strange...

4. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

I saw a full grown Giant Gourami at an LFS that could swallow a golfball.

5. rae64 Well Known Member Member

wow D: thats big. i don't think thick lips can get that big.... lol

6. Neji Member Member

Probably could be eggs... but gouramis build bubble nests in which they keep the eggs in.

7. T Fishie Member Member

Very odd. I've had gouramis golden and blue for a couple years and I have never seen them look like they had eggs or anything in their mouths.Maybe they were diseased?

8. rae64 Well Known Member Member

T Fishie, it wasn't their mouths. It was their bellies!

9. Knight1987 Initiate Member

Maybe it was sick I dunno? All I know is the kissing gourami can be very mean.

Couldn't they also be gravid, AKA egg-filled?

10. Elodea Well Known Member Member

I'm guessing dropsy or bloat. Any other ideas?