can a gourami swallow a golf ball?!? :P

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by rae64, Dec 12, 2009.

1. rae64

rae64Well Known MemberMember

haha i know that they cant, but i went to my lfs and they had 2 thick-lip gouramis that looked like they each had swallowed a golf ball. were they egg-filled? is this normal? they looked so funny with their bulgy bellies.

i do think there was a male in the tank... maybe he has something to do with this....

2. NejiValued MemberMember

The only gourami I know that has a mouth large enough to swallow a golf ball is the Giant Gourami. Other gouramis are way too small to swallow one. Even so... golf balls will kill the fish because they can't digest it.

I hope this helps!

Neji

3. OP
    OP
    rae64

lol i was just kidding... haha but seriously these thicklip gouramis were very round! was it maybe eggs? kinda strange...

4. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

I saw a full grown Giant Gourami at an LFS that could swallow a golfball.

5. OP
    OP
    rae64

wow D: thats big. i don't think thick lips can get that big.... lol

6. NejiValued MemberMember

Probably could be eggs... but gouramis build bubble nests in which they keep the eggs in.

7. T Fishie

T FishieValued MemberMember

Very odd. I've had gouramis golden and blue for a couple years and I have never seen them look like they had eggs or anything in their mouths.Maybe they were diseased?

8. OP
    OP
    rae64

T Fishie, it wasn't their mouths. It was their bellies!

9. Knight1987

Knight1987New MemberMember

Maybe it was sick I dunno? All I know is the kissing gourami can be very mean.

Couldn't they also be gravid, AKA egg-filled?

10. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

I'm guessing dropsy or bloat. Any other ideas?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice