Can a glo fish live in a school of non glo fish

Leinalou

Hey! I may take in a fish that needs a home. I recently took in a school of 3 black skirt tetras (among others, i'm planning to increase their school size asap) with a whole tank of other fish. A different neighbor has a lone orange glo fish tetra, which are genetically modified black skirts. Do you think they could get along? There are also neons and a gourami in this tank.
Let me know what you think! Maybe they could school?
Thanks!

SanDiegoRedneck

Hey! I may take in a fish that needs a home. I recently took in a school of 3 black skirt tetras (among others, i'm planning to increase their school size asap) with a whole tank of other fish. A different neighbor has a lone orange glo fish tetra, which are genetically modified black skirts. Do you think they could get along? There are also neons and a gourami in this tank.
Let me know what you think! Maybe they could school?
Thanks!
What size tank are you putting all these in? They all are compatible. The glo will probably school a little with black skirts.

Interesting question. I wonder if anyone has kept the regular and glow in same tank.

Is your tank cycled? You are adding alot of fish quickly.

I feel if you have better setup you will take better care he is ok alone for now and watch how he interacts with non modified black skirts.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

I don't see why not. Albino fish interact normally with wild types. I don't see why another color would be any different.

Upvote 0

Anixandria

The Glofish will school with non Glofish. They’re generally super calm (though a bit shy at first) and mine have gotten along with everyone that’s been in their tank.

Upvote 0

SanDiegoRedneck

I don't see why not. Albino fish interact normally with wild types. I don't see why another color would be any different.
That is one reason I wondered if someone had together. Because with my cherry barbs I have 10 and only 2 albino the albino will only court and spawn with the other albino. He definitely is attracted to her.

He knows he is albino for sure. Blows my mind how internally with no mirror knows he is a cherry barb but also albino.

Dont get me wrong they both school with the non albino but just cool to see how nature works and he only wants the other albino.

Probably a rare case but cool to watch

Upvote 0

Leinalou

What size tank are you putting all these in? They all are compatible. The glo will probably school a little with black skirts.

Interesting question. I wonder if anyone has kept the regular and glow in same tank.

Is your tank cycled? You are adding alot of fish quickly.

I feel if you have better setup you will take better care he is ok alone for now and watch how he interacts with non modified black skirts.
These guys are in a 20 gallon. I got the others from someone who needed a home for their fish, but it was about 17 days ago. I would take in the glo this friday, so it would be more than three weeks between adding new fish. I tend to be careful in this way. He is living in a small tank all alone with someone else, and i think he would be happier in the 20g with his little school.

Oh great! Thank you so much. The albino point makes lots of sense!

The Glofish will school with non Glofish. They’re generally super calm (though a bit shy at first) and mine have gotten along with everyone that’s been in their tank.
Perfect! I'll go ahead and take him in then. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Nikn
Replies
Views
Ir3land
Replies
Views
OuiBonjour