Question can a clown fish thrive in a 10 gallon?

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
title...................................................................................................... except for keeping corals and inverts i would like those to with some live rock

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can do anything you want, just doesn't mean you should.

Seriously, though, I think a lot of people don't research and so just don't know any better. Like the time I kept a platy, a common pleco, and a RTS in a 2.2 gallon shaped like a globe. (I think back to that now and I am horrified that I did that.) That was about 12 years ago.

Good for you for asking the questions and researching.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
title...................................................................................................... except for keeping corals and inverts i would like those to with some live rock
IMO a clownfish should have a 15-20 gallon tank, although some do keep them in 10 gallon tanks, it would not be my preference. A better choice would be a small goby like a yellow watchman, hi fin banded, clown or citron, etc. These gobies are less active swimmers and don't need a ton of space.

I didn't really understand the second part of your question. You mean that you would like to keep some corals, right? In that case, yes you will need live rock. You can buy plain aragonite sand (it will become live from the live rock and is a lot cheaper than bagged live sand), or you can do a barebottom tank. Just avoid crushed coral or gravel- these are too hard to keep clean in SW. A skimmer is not needed on a nano tank IMO. You can remove enough excess nutrients from the tank with weekly water changes, as long as you don't overstock and don't overfeed. Not using a skimmer will mean that you must stick to this schedule, though.

For corals, I'd suggest starting with some easy ones if you have never kept corals before. Zoanthids/palythoas and mushrooms are great starter corals for a 10 gallon. These have lower lighting requirements than a lot of other corals and are just easier to keep in general. What are your plans for lighting this tank? The fixture and bulb that came with the tank are almost certainly not adequate for corals.

Keep in mind that a 10 gallon, although very doable, is a small tank for a reef and is a lot less stable than a larger tank. It will need daily attention from you. As long as you're willing to put forth the effort, you shouldn't have much trouble with it. I've kept reefs in a 2.5 and 5.5 gallon with no problem.

The most important thing you can do right now is to continue to research!

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Great advice harpua.

Whilst I'm not keeping a sw yet, your advice supports everything I've been researching.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks Ryan, I have been keeping SW reef tanks for just over 3 years now and there is always something more to learn.

lil0618, I forgot to mention, if you need any help choosing lighting or any other equipment for your tank, I will try to help if you want. Keep in mind, if the cost of lighting is too high right now, you can always start with just live rock and fish and upgrade the lighting later when you are ready to try corals.

locoyo386

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you mean for it's entire life span, maybe an ocellaris cownfish. I had marrons in 10's before and they do great up untill they start getting aorund 3". They start to get very territoria, specially if you have other fish with them. I suppose this is alway true since I moved mine to one of the 55's and he was fine for a few weeks, then it started doing the same thing.

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i heard they were semi not full aggresive toward each other( is anyone on the reef tank .com great site!)

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A clown goby and a small shrimp goby (hi fin banded, yellow watchman, yasha, tangaroa, etc.) would work ok.

locoyo386

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i heard they were semi not full aggresive toward each other( is anyone on the reef tank .com great site!)
Yeah, they are someof the least aggressive ones along with the Azure Damsels. You could check them out as they tend to be even more dosile than the yellow tail ones. They also grow fairly slow, min is still the same size from when I got it, about 1.5", he is in a 55g.

lil0618

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In my personal opinion, I think you could do an Ocellaris Clownfish, Firefish, or a Cardinal. Two of them in any combination. Once again that's my personal opinion that has been draned by expereince.
thanks would a bangii cardinal be ok?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom