55 Gallon Tank can a canister filter sucsessfully push water through a chiller

thedude67111

what canister size would be best

what canister size would be best

my pump broke down last year and I had to disconnect my chiller. I will finally be able to reconnect my chiller to my planted tank. its a heavly planted with med to high fish load. and this tank of mine has a fluval 203 on it and I know I need to upgrade that but I want a big enough canister filter that can also have enough power to push through my chiller and still have enough of a cycle rate through it but that won't over power the tank, the hight of my tank is 4ft 2 in head hight and 55 gal tank

I live in southern arizona and a chiller is needed in my opinion for my house

just deciding if a exsternal pump for the chiller is needed when their might be a canister that will do both jobs

thedude67111

anyone ...

Bueller...

Bueller...

Bueller...

Peterpiper

This is a tricky one, The chiller will have flow restrictions, so if you use the filter in line to pump through the chiller you will have restricted the flow through the filter. With the reduced flow through the filter you will have issues with the bio filtration etc.
IMO you need a pump/power head to run the chiller.
The other issue would be over working the pump in the filter if you ran the chiller and filter on the same system... ie to much restriction

thedude67111

peter thanks for answering

my thinking exactically , so I was wondering if a size or two over will be able to cover that extra restricition

anyone do this or exsperiaince with this?

Peterpiper

Think a new power head/pump would be cheaper than a filter with a pump rated to pump through the filter and the pump??

reefplayground

what chiller brand and model are you running?

macotto

The chiller will have flow restrictions, so if you use the filter in line to pump through the chiller you will have restricted the flow through the filter. With the reduced flow through the filter you will have issues with the bio filtration etc.
IMO you need a pump/power head to run the chiller.my thinking exactically , so I was wondering if a size or two over will be able to cover that extra restricition

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
david1978
Replies
Views
Larry O'Donnell
Replies
Views
GreenT
Replies
Views