Can a canister filter sit next to the tank?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Dean, Mar 16, 2010.

1. DeanValued MemberMember

Can a canister filter sit next to the tank or does it need to be below it?

2. outlaw

outlawWell Known MemberMember

It can sit next to it, above it, below it... I just wouldn't recommend in it. :D

Most common reason for below it in my opinion is for gravity to help with filling the canister with water then having the pump only have to push the water back up. Less dry running I suppose. If mounted above, It would probably be better to be filled with water to keep from dry running as it will take longer to get the water up the inlet hose to the filter.

Next to it, I think it would actually be easier on the pump then below or above since it doesn't have to fight gravity nearly as much, in turn extending the life of the pump.

Hope this helps and good luck!

3. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Definitely can not go above as the hoses are not made to bend down. The inlets and outlets on most canisters point up. So under and next to the tank on the floor is just fine since the hoses are long enough also.

4. outlaw

I do agree about the bends in the tubes to point down. However if one was so inclined to do so for whatever reason, they could put it above provided they did not kink the hose or modified the tubes to eliminate the bend.

I am not saying this is a good idea, just saying it is possible.

5. Cichlidude

Usually not with the included hoses since they are not that long. However, buying longer hoses it could be done. Question is why? :)

6. outlaw

lol, I can't say I would have a reason for that other then "because I can". I got nothin. :D

btw, my canister filter came with nearly 4.5-5' of hose for either side. I thought about cutting it to size but decided not to in case I got a bigger tank/stand. It just sits looped behind the stand.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  7. Regal

RegalWell Known MemberMember

The instructions on my canister say it must be under the tank. I asked the same question as you on another forum and got responses from three people that sat canisters beside their tanks. All three said their filters worked well but burped a little air once in a while. All three said the filters were fine and that the occasional burp didn't bother them.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  8. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

My only real option is to place it next to the tank. It going in my classroom and can't have the counter drilled to put the canister under the tank. I just wanted to see if it can still work that way since it's my only option.

9. outlaw

how tall is the tank or about the top of the water line?

What is the height to the top of the fittings on the canister?

As long as there is still some down angle, I don't see why it wouldn't.

To the occasional burp, wouldn't that indicate air is getting into the system somewhere?

I would think (better watch out, lol) that as long as the filter is filled with water and the inlet tube (typically mid-bottom of tank) doesn't break the surface, it should be fine.

10. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

Its a 55gal 20ish inches tall. good point outlaw, it should still be below the intake and output lines. I do want to use an internal line heater too, I wonder if that would change the hight angle of the lines and create more problems.

11. outlaw

The internal line heater may cause a little more swoop in the hose but I don't think it would be an issue. Just make sure there isn't any power outlets/strips near by in case of a leak there since you are creating 2 more possible leak points.

Depending on how much hose you're going to have, start the pump while sitting on the floor, then move up to the desk after it seems all the air pockets are out. You could gently move the canister around to get any left over air pockets out.

What kind of canister are you using?

12. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

buying a ehiem classic 2213 canister. Cheaper and more realiable then most i've looked in to.

13. outlaw

No personal experience with Ehiem, mostly because of cost. From what I hear though, they are among the best.

Good luck!

14. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

I have an ehiem ecco at home and love it. Going for the classic for my classroom tank because it'd $50 cheaper without the extra thrills and I'm a poor, poor teacher

15. Cichlidude

I have a C360 and found it was blowing micro bubbles. You have to shake and move the filter and power it on and off a few times until all the air is finally out. Then if flows just fine. I just bought a Sunsun 303B canister and was going to swap out the C360 and get my money back. I decided to keep it as a spare now. I powered up the Sunsun and ran it in the garage tub and it ran perfect. Dead quiet, good water flow. The plastic is not as good as the C360 with a little rough edges but for half the price, I would only buy Sunsun from now on.

All canisters have a $10 motor and $20 in plastic parts and they sell them for $200 or more. Talk about a rip off and not worth it. Sunsun at least makes sense with its price point.

16. OP
    OP
    D

DeanValued MemberMember

never even heard of that brand. My filter was only $80 at Big Al's online. I thought that was a pretty darn good deal

17. outlaw

For an eheim. I would say so. I paid 60 for mine from an LFS but it's not as widely known.

18. Regal

RegalWell Known MemberMember

I have the C Series 220 and from the pictures of the Sunsun it looks exactly the same. A lot of people say they get shipped out with broken handles on the trays inside but that for the cheap price it's still worth it. If I get another canister I'm going to try the Sunsun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice