Can A Bio Wheel Supplement Sponges?

hjack9090

I have a 75 gallon marine land HOB filter in my 30 gallon. I recently removed some of the sponges to put in a different tank. I thought that the bio wheel would be able to handle the bio load until the new sponges got cycled, but my fish have since started acting strange. I don´t have my test kit on me right now and will test it once I get it. I have done a 50% water change yesterday and am worried about the fate of my tank. Am I just doing something wrong with the bio wheel or does it just not work?

BiggerIsBetta

Just keep doing water changes. By removing media you may have caused an ammonia spike, but as long as you keep on top of water quality, everything will be fine.

hjack9090

Just keep doing water changes. By removing media you may have caused an ammonia spike, but as long as you keep on top of water quality, everything will be fine.
Ok, thank you. I'm guessing the bio wheel is just bad then, correct?

bizaliz3

Ok, thank you. I'm guessing the bio wheel is just bad then, correct?

Yes. Never count on that wheel to hold onto enough BB to maintain your cycle. I always squeeze the new cartridge behind the old one for a couple weeks. OR, I have bioballs that I will shove in behind the filter which hang on to a lot of BB. Then if I change the cartridge the bioballs should be enough. (as long as they had been in there for a month or more)

But I also like to use seachem stability any time I do make those changes just incase. Its beneficial bacteria in a bottle.

EDIT...but honestly, I almost NEVER change the cartridges. I just scrub them with my fingers in a bucket of tank wanter.

hjack9090

Yes. Never count on that wheel to hold onto enough BB to maintain your cycle. I always squeeze the new cartridge behind the old one for a couple weeks. OR, I have bioballs that I will shove in behind the filter which hang on to a lot of BB. Then if I change the cartridge the bioballs should be enough. (as long as they had been in there for a month or more)

But I also like to use seachem stability any time I do make those changes just incase. Its beneficial bacteria in a bottle.

EDIT...but honestly, I almost NEVER change the cartridges. I just scrub them with my fingers in a bucket of tank wanter.

I don't change them either, but I do rinse them with tap water as they get pretty dirty. I always squeeze my sponges in old tank water tho. What are these "bioballs" that you are talking about?

bizaliz3

I don't change them either, but I do rinse them with tap water as they get pretty dirty. I always squeeze my sponges in old tank water tho. What are these "bioballs" that you are talking about?

You have sponges in there too?

hjack9090

You have sponges in there too?
I have the sponges in the back, the cartridge in the middle and bio wheel in front

bizaliz3

I have the sponges in the back, the cartridge in the middle and bio wheel in front

Well if you aren't washing the sponges in tap water, you are still keeping some BB. But each time you wash the cartridge in tap water, you are losing a lot of the BB you had. So it can cause a spike or a minI cycle.

Here is an example of some good bio media.

hjack9090

Well if you aren't washing the sponges in tap water, you are still keeping some BB. But each time you wash the cartridge in tap water, you are losing a lot of the BB you had. So it can cause a spike or a minI cycle.

Here is an example of some good bio media.

if you really want can try stuffing some of my extre ceramics in there, might clog the bio wheel tho

bizaliz3

if you really want can try stuffing some of my extre ceramics in there, might clog the bio wheel tho

I would think a sponge shoved in there would clog it up more though....

purslanegarden

Your question title is, can bio-wheel supplement sponge? Yes it can.

But you removed some of the sponge, so it was more like you took away some of the BB. As a result, the remaining BB, on the wheel and sponge pieces leftover, still needed to repopulate enough to handle your bio load.

The wheel is not bad, it was just that BB was removed.

hjack9090

Your question title is, can bio-wheel supplement sponge? Yes it can.

But you removed some of the sponge, so it was more like you took away some of the BB. As a result, the remaining BB, on the wheel and sponge pieces leftover, still needed to repopulate enough to handle your bio load.

The wheel is not bad, it was just that BB was removed.

I see, thank you for the advice. I just thought the wheel was the main provider of BB and the sponges were just for extra mechanical.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Castiel*
Replies
Views
Bryangar
Replies