Can a betta regrow SEVERELY damaged fins? *pic*

mrslamb

Saw this guy at Petco today when I went to get cat food... I have never seen anything like it! They have him marked half off...$1.99. He is really perky, believe it or not, and swimming ok....but is it possible for his fins to ever grow back normally? There are pieces of his fins floating all around in the cup!

I didn't bring him home, wanted to do some research, I have had bettas a LONG time but never one this bad off. What do you guys think?

Lucy

Offical Spam Kicker
Welcome to FishLore!!

Poor little guy.
You can try. Warm pristine water, extra stress coat, garlic guard and vitachem will give him the best shot.
I've never had a betta whose fins were tattered so short.
I have heard once damage is right up to the body it's too late.
But I have also seen some amazing recoveries with good care.

The fact that he's alert and active is a good sign, imo.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Please let us know.

ppate1977

Well Known
That's pretty bad. Usually when the missing find reaches the actual body, the fin may grow back but not correctly. Poor guy he will probably get a secondary infection.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
When the rays themsevles get dammaged, the fins won't grow back to how they used be, but they do have the potential to grow back out fully. My PLutto is a good example of this.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/my-walmart-rescue.74020/

First page is from when I got him (he was really shy, and wouldnt show his fins off, though who could blame him? They looked like !). The last page is a few months after I got him. I honestly thought that his fins would stay that length forever.

And here, in the 6th pic, is him now. Had him about a year, I guess (I would have to look at the dates in that first link to say for sure). As you can see, his fins are deformed, but they look a lot better then they did!

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/photoshoot-d.97079/

So it can be done. It just takes time, lots and lots of time. And water changes. And Stress Coat. I think I paid so may of API's bills when I was growing Plutto's fins back out LOL

OP
M

mrslamb

When the rays themsevles get dammaged, the fins won't grow back to how they used be, but they do have the potential to grow back out fully. My PLutto is a good example of this.

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/my-walmart-rescue.74020/

First page is from when I got him (he was really shy, and wouldnt show his fins off, though who could blame him? They looked like !). The last page is a few months after I got him. I honestly thought that his fins would stay that length forever.

And here, in the 6th pic, is him now. Had him about a year, I guess (I would have to look at the dates in that first link to say for sure). As you can see, his fins are deformed, but they look a lot better then they did!

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/photoshoot-d.97079/

So it can be done. It just takes time, lots and lots of time. And water changes. And Stress Coat. I think I paid so may of API's bills when I was growing Plutto's fins back out LOL

WOW, that is amazing!! All you used was Stress Coat? At what dose? He looks fantastic! Thank you, before and after pics was just what I was looking for!!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Thanks ^///^

14 drops per gallon in the begining (the dose for fin and tissue regrowth, in drop form). 10 drops per gallon when the growth started to slow down, and then just 7 drops per gallon (the same dose as Tetra) until his fins were fully grown out.

OP
M

mrslamb

Thank you! Now I am really considering giving him a shot... it was a little hard to see in some of the earlier pictures, how far back were his fins damaged/missing? This guy's are right up to his body...

Sorry for all the questions, but so far, everything I have heard or read says he has little/no chance, so you are the first positive story I have heard/seen, LOL!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Thank you! Now I am really considering giving him a shot... it was a little hard to see in some of the earlier pictures, how far back were his fins damaged/missing? This guy's are right up to his body...

Sorry for all the questions, but so far, everything I have heard or read says he has little/no chance, so you are the first positive story I have heard/seen, LOL!

One of his ventral fins were completely missing, his tail looked like ot was chopped it with a pair of scissors, his dorsal fin was rotted to just over half the size it is today, and his analfin was ripped off from the front of it at the body, and all the way down to oposite corner. Theres a pic on the second page of the 1st link that shows it, I think.

I would say as long as he is still feisty, go for it! Theres a lot of info in that thread too. Might help some =3

OP
M

mrslamb

Thanks again!!!

RogueAgent94

Fishlore VIP
Welcome to FishLore!

I think under good care he will most definitely come back. His fins will most likely not be normally shaped or as they use to be but they will grow back. Believe it or not but I have 'saved' bettas in worse shape than that. Good luck with him if you do decide to get him! Feel free to ask any questions as there are many knowledgeable members here and some, including myself, are/were betta breeders .

I would also suggest Vita Chem, which you'll probably need to order online. It works wonders for helping regrow finnage.

nerite0479

Just do what people have said. My dad put his betta in the sink once while cleaning the tank(I WASN'T THERE WHEN IT HAPPENED)and accidentally got the fins caught in the sink stopper and almost completely ripped them all off. It recovered and has beautiful fins again.

OP
M

mrslamb

I went back and didn't see him I am so sad, I hope another betta lover took him home....

So I am now on the lookout for another abused fish that needs us...sadly, I bet we will see one soon...

Thank you guys SO much for all the help and suggestions!!!!!

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
I went back and didn't see him I am so sad, I hope another betta lover took him home....

So I am now on the lookout for another abused fish that needs us...sadly, I bet we will see one soon...

Thank you guys SO much for all the help and suggestions!!!!!

Aww hopefully he did go home with some one who knew what they were doing.

This was at PetCo right? They usually work with you with the Bettas that look terrible and won't last very much longer in those cups, and let you "adopt" them. Just dsont do what I did and make the person in the fish department hate you because she's catty when you say some thing as simple as "This cup is really gross, and I can't even see the fish. Can you clean it?" and then you get catty back (though not as much as she was lol) and she calls the manager on you (who actually likes you, so it doesn't help much lol)

OP
M

mrslamb

Aww hopefully he did go home with some one who knew what they were doing.

This was at PetCo right? They usually work with you with the Bettas that look terrible and won't last very much longer in those cups, and let you "adopt" them. Just dsont do what I did and make the person in the fish department hate you because she's catty when you say some thing as simple as "This cup is really gross, and I can't even see the fish. Can you clean it?" and then you get catty back (though not as much as she was lol) and she calls the manager on you (who actually likes you, so it doesn't help much lol)

Yes, it was at Petco... and I am really hating this Petco at the moment. A few weeks ago I took home a BARELY alive, ammonia burned guy who couldn't swim AT ALL, with barely any fins left. I asked, very nicely, if they would discount him since was seriously half dead. They refused, just said if he died, bring him in and get a refund. Um, ok. We tried our hardest to save him, but he died after about a week of treatment. Then I went back to get my refund (and pick up cat food), and saw this other mess of a fish! And even a few DEAD fish floating in cups! AND...a month or so back they had a plakat male, floating in a very dirty/cloudy cup, with a crooked back, couldn't swim...and they had him marked half off for "Spine injury". *sigh*

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Yes, it was at Petco... and I am really hating this Petco at the moment. A few weeks ago I took home a BARELY alive, ammonia burned guy who couldn't swim AT ALL, with barely any fins left. I asked, very nicely, if they would discount him since was seriously half dead. They refused, just said if he died, bring him in and get a refund. Um, ok. We tried our hardest to save him, but he died after about a week of treatment. Then I went back to get my refund (and pick up cat food), and saw this other mess of a fish! And even a few DEAD fish floating in cups! AND...a month or so back they had a plakat male, floating in a very dirty/cloudy cup, with a crooked back, couldn't swim...and they had him marked half off for "Spine injury". *sigh*

Terrible... I gave up on trying to do anything with my PetCo. I see dead fish in there all the time, in tanks and cups alike. One time, and friend and I went in there and took all the dead and almost dead Bettas off the shelf, and stacked them on a separate shelf. No kidding, we took out over half of their stock. There had to only be 15 cups left. We had atleast 20 stacked up...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
rianygr

Did You Know...

Used aquarium water (with no medications in it) can be good for watering your house plants! Have you done a water change lately?
What do you do with your water change water?

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop
Top Bottom