Can a Beta get stuck in an empty extra-large Escargot Shell ?

OuiBonjour

I've read that Beta fish were very good at getting stuck in very small areas (often resulting in death), for example in DIY snail-traps.

I cycled a new 5 gallon tank who's going to welcome a Betta, and I would like to incorporate one or two Escargot Shells as decoration. However I'm afraid a curious betta might get stuck while trying to explore one.

They're label as Extra-Larges, and are about 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter, and 1-1.5 inches high. Orifice might be 0.5 inche by 1 inche.

Here are the pictures of the Escargot Shells taken from the Amazon page where I bought them from. Mines are exactly the same.

2020-09-02 03_49_45-Royal Command Lot de 24 coquilles vides pour escargots Taille XL_ Amazon.c...png
2020-09-02 03_49_29-Royal Command Lot de 24 coquilles vides pour escargots Taille XL_ Amazon.c...png

jake37

If a fish can do something you don't want it to do it will find a way....

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Bettas are like cats that way "if i think i can fits, i sits".

Upvote 0

Rockymountainstream

In my experience If they can, they will

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Haha okay, so it seems pretty clear lol

Now that we know that they can and will try to get in them, do you think the orifice is big enough so that he'd be able to get out safely, or you wouldn't risk it ?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Maybe for some smaller fish. Not a betta. If the betta didn't get stuck on the way in or out, good chance it would come out with some fin damage.

Upvote 0

OuiBonjour

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply. I will not put any and will keep them for my African tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
InsanityShard
  • Question
  • aWildGarbageCan
  • Photos