Can A Bamboo Shrimp Be Kept In A 10 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Bamboo Shrimp' started by newbiefishkeeper, Dec 31, 2017.

1. newbiefishkeeper

newbiefishkeeperValued MemberMember

Hi I have a 10 gallon that is about a year old now so I know it is established. Currently I only have cherry shrimp in there so I was wondering if I could add a single bamboo shrimp in there? I was wondering it they can survive off of the micro-organisms in the water column and whatever comes out of the filter without the need for additional feeding( I know they can grow to a maximum of 4 inches for the males at least)? Or would they need a larger tank for that to work out? I would appreciate all of your answers( especially those of you who have kept them for a considerable amount of time now.)

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

What is your water flow like? It could be doable but you would have to feed it regularly, there just will not be enough micro organisms to keep it going for long. This is doubly true if it is either lightly planted or has no live plants at all.

The main problem I see is water flow. They need a tank with high flow as they will sit in the flow while filter feeding. It would be hard to achieve this w/o disturbing the smaller cherry shrimp. I feel they would likely get too tossed around in a stronger current.

3. OP
    OP
    newbiefishkeeper

newbiefishkeeperValued MemberMember

Oh alright ill just wait for awhile until I upgrade to a bigger tank then.

4. Timmy1027

Timmy1027Valued MemberMember

I have a heavily planted 10g tank and I am keep a female bamboo shrimp in it. Beside the bamboo, I also have 9 chili rasbora, 7 CRS/CBS, 1 ammano shrimp, 2 ghost shrimp, 2 ottos and snails. I am using Tetra whisper filter and I think it is good enough. I also introduced a driftwood platform near the filter output for feeding, but it took 2 weeks for the bamboo to locate itself. Before that, the bamboo was always wondering on the gravel. In case of insufficient feeding, I also dose seachem zooplankton and baby fish food every 2-3 days.

I read that a bamboo shrimp needs at least 10-20g tank, but I personally don't think that is necessary if you have good food supply. I am considering to buy another male bamboo now.

BTW, this is my 10g tank two weeks ago. 25394707_2020705328176915_3794966010355873111_o-jpg.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. devan221

devan221Valued MemberMember

Timmy1027.....Got a question for you. Cant pm you....system.wont let me. Can you please pm me?

6. devan221

Got a question for you. Can you pm me, please?

7. Timmy1027

Glad to help. What is your question?

8. devan221

I would love to know what you feed your bamboo shrimp regularly and if by "Seachem Zooplankton" you mean the stuff made for reefs.....as in saltwater tanks. I will happily buy some, but I want to make sure I get the right stuff. Also, how much do you use every 2-3 days and do you use a syringe to direct it at your bamboo shrimp? same sort of questions about the baby fish food. Lastly, do you happen to know the gh/kh of your tank? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

9. devan221

I would love to know what you feed your bamboo shrimp regularly and if by "Seachem Zooplankton" you mean the stuff made for reefs.....as in saltwater tanks. I will happily buy some, but I want to make sure I get the right stuff. Also, how much do you use every 2-3 days and do you use a syringe to direct it at your bamboo shrimp? same sort of questions about the baby fish food. Lastly, do you happen to know the gh/kh of your tank? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

10. Timmy1027

Yeah, the seachem zooplankton is originally made for reef, but it can also be used in freshwater w/o obvious side effect. Before my tank is heavily planted, I used zooplankton and baby fish food every 2-3 days. But now I only dose those as supplement once a week or less. As shown in my previous picture, the bamboo has found a nice location below the filter output. This process took about a month because it was very shy when newly added into my tank.

The KH is 3 and GH is 6. Hope my answer helps you.

11. Timmy1027

Oh, forgot to mention the feeding method. At first, I tried to spot feed using a pipette. But the bamboo was freaking out whenever I tried to approach her. In the end, I just gave up spot feeding and let the water flow do the job.
    BTW, where do you buy your bamboo shrimp. I cannot find it anywhere near Atlanta. I bought my first from aquatic arts online.

12. devan221

Forgive me for this, but I need to rant for a hot minute. I don't know what the **** I'm doing wrong with my shrimp tanks. I have had fish all my life - I'm not a fish killer! So, about 8 months ago, I thought I'd get some shrimp. For about 6 months, life was good. My neocaridina's (im sure i misspelled that) were even breeding! Granted, i lost a couple shrimp, but that's life. Then one day, the carnage began. I tested everything, and so did my lfs, and the there were no ammonia or nitrites and nitates were fine. Only things off were kh and gh. I had neglected to add anything to my RO water when I stopped using tap water completely. So....add equilibrium and a couple of mineral rocks. Things were looking up. But I've just found my cories chewing on another dead shrimp. That's 3 or 4 in 2 days (on top of 2 of 4 new Amanos dying last week) and I just don't get it. There are at least 20 babies in the tank that are happy campers, but my adults are dying again. The only things changed are addition of Eqilibrium and mineral rocks and a power head (very small one) turned all the way down to direct water for the bamboo shrimp.

Does anybody have ideas? I will try just about anything's, but I don't have room behind my filters for additional stuff. Have to keep extra filter media to ward off ammonia issues! And to get my kh to 3 with eqilibrium would make my gh way too high - like above 20.

Now....to answer your question. I get my Bamboo Shrimp from a lfs that my favorite grumpy old man owns! I live in Raleigh, NC and the store is in Wake Forest, NC, so I don't know if that will help you.

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

13. Timmy1027

What is your pH then? If pH is 6.4 or lower, it will consume KH and that is probably why your GH is off the roof. On the other hand, high GH can make shrimp stall at molting, making exoskeleton too hard to get off. Could that be the reason for your loss?

I recently experienced missing CRS/CBS. I visited Emory for a week w/o anybody feeding my tank. After I came back, I think I lost 4 out of 7 CRS/CBS. My ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are 0, so the water is not issue. I suspect that the ghost shrimps are the culprit, since I read that some ghost shrimps are mislabelled and can be aggressive to other nano fish/shrimp. I don't know if anything in your tank can be blamed, like cory?

14. devan221

Omg.....I wish I had that much control over my pH. Out of the tap it's too high to read without high ph test. So I use RO water. And somehow, using RO water with pH of 6.6, my tanks are at bw 7.2 and 7.6. Who knows. I'm sure there is a logical explanation, but I'm just happy it's in an ok range.

I don't think it's my cories bc my 2 shrimp tanks were built around the cories. I'm highly suspect of my 2 remaining "new" amano shrimp, though. I think it's high gh plus amano shrimp. I'm kinda afraid the rest of my shrimp will die, too. I guess I will bring the gh down as quickly as I can safely and resign myself to losing 4 more crs and a bamboo. Then start over with shrimp.

I'm going to give up on kh bc I never had a problem with pH fluctuation bf I knew what kh was. And it was 0 then. I will aim for a gh of 8 and keep using the mineral stones. But I will get some zooplankton and baby fish food and add tiny bits 2 times a week. That should help either this bamboo or the next one.

Thanks for the help!

15. devan221

Well, I don t know what it was, but I must have done something right bc Spike (bamboo shrimp) just successfully molted. I didn't see the molt, but saw him right after and he was alive. He's hiding now and the last thing he needs is for me to bother him, so I will let him be. Holy crapola.....he is hanging from the top rim of the aquarium! And he just rode a water spangle down like it was a zip line!

Anyway, with a GH of 20 before a 1.5 gallon water change last night, I'm going to assume that the 5 itty bitty shrimp other than him don't need the shed and take it out in an hour or so!

16. Timmy1027

You use RO water, right? The GH of RO water should be 0. So I think you are overdosing mineral supplements and get GH of 20. Maybe you should check that.

what is the price of you bamboo shrimp? I find that the price can range from $5 to $20. I got mine at $20.

17. devan221

I think that I knew that the GH of RO water is 0. I know that the pH of RO water (and if my RO water) is between 6.4 and 6.6. I tested it out of curiosity! Once we figured out that it was a lack of mineral supplements that was killing my shrimp, and I got the Eqilibrium, I asked my 2 lfs owners what kh I needed to get to. One of them doesn't test his GH or KH, which is very concerning on its own. The other said to get KH above 3 and that GH couldn't get too high. I hadn't checked GH in a while, but either I'm doing the test wrong (put a drop, shake, repeat) or it is really that high.

Anyway, I'm playing poker with friends but I will check on cost of bamboo shrimp when I get home. If I don't respond by tomorrow, feel free to remind me!!!!

18. devan221

So.....I thought about it and the 1st bamboo shrimp I bought was $12. The 2nd and current one was $16 or $17. Nothing wrong with the place I bought the 1st one. But the place I bought my current one from has a lot more shrimp and inverts in general, and I like it better for inverts. The first place is great for fish. But remember.....things are cheaper here since im not in atlanta!!!!

19. SPiNoVA

SPiNoVAValued MemberMember

You may be using the wrong product for your RO water. Those mineral rocks are useless. Most shrimp keepers use a product specifically designed for shrimp, like Salty Shrimp GH/KH+. You can also get GH+.

The additional complication for you is that you are keeping Caridinas, which are less forgiving of parameters than Neos. Most shrimpers I know keep them at about 72 degrees or less, KH 0-1, and GH 4-6, pH 6.0-6.8 . Which usually means a buffering substrate. IMO, they’re not particularly compatible with bamboos, that prefer harder water.