Can 2 goldfish live well in a 25 gallon?

BBL92

First, I would like to know if this one is "pregant" (I know its not the right term). I did try to read on the subject, but it just made me more confused.

The black one was chassing the first one for a while and now the fish began to get fat really fast. (They are still pretty small, maybe 1inch, or so)

Also, after calculating the dimensions of my fish tank, I found out it was a 25 gallons. My question is, can two goldfish live and grow well in this one? Could I even go to add an other one or better not? If not can I atleast add a mudsucker to help keep the tank clean?

Ps. I hope my english wasn't too bad, my first language is french

Thank you

deanfinchester

how fast did the fishes belly grow? if it was in less than a day or so it could be dropsy, but to tell for sure I would have to see a pic of the fish from above, if you look at it from the top & the scales are sticking out like a pinecone then it is dropsy, unfortunately its usually fatal , as for the tank size I would get something bigger asap, this tank is too small for two fancy goldfish since they produce A LOT of waste, for two of these goldfish you need a tank that is 40 gallons/151.4 liters, & if you added more goldfish then you would need an even bigger tank, as for mudsucker I'm assuming you mean a pleco & they are not good for "cleaning" tanks, they have huge bioloads & actually make the tank messier, the only thing that cleans the tank is you, your syphon, & a bucket via water change unfortunately, & with goldfish you will probably have to do twice a week water changes since they are basically poo machines

BBL92

I would say it got bigger within a week or so.
Thank you for the information and yes I ment pleco

deanfinchester

hmm, its kind of hard to tell with the pic but when you looked at it from above did its scales seem to be sticking out? it looks pretty wide in the pic so I would assume they are, if they are I would move the fish to another tank so the other one doesn't get sick, I would suggest euthanasia as well but its more of your discretion as to how sick your fish is

BBL92

Scales aren't sticking out it just looks loaded..sorry I can't take a better picture

deanfinchester

it might just be fat, how much are you feeding them?

BBL92

I put 6 pellets 3 times a day

deanfinchester

each??? that is way too much food for them, especially since your tank is too small & you want to feed less so the waste doesn't build up so quickly, until you can upgrade feed them 3 pellets ONCE a day & that's it, I promise they won't starve, when/if you upgrade you can feed them 3 pellets each twice daily, they don't need more than this or they will get too fat

BBL92

No was for both of them.. Just once a day?

Just would like to say shouldnt the pet shop tell us these things before we buy them? Like I mean this was my bf tank and he had 7 little common goldfishs in it that he all bought at the same place and he did ask the lady before buying them all. She doednt seem to be right about nothing so far at first he had bought my fishes for his tank but they werent getting along with the rest so I got my own which was a lot smaller... Now my bf as got a 66gallon for him so I finaly got a bigger tank but I now find out I need a even bigger one I will look into it just can't afford a brand new so I have to wait til I find the right sized one for sale....just so upset at the pet shop right now... She should know more about what she is selling.. As me wundering is she doing this so the fishes die fast so we buy more or is she just dumb I love my fish and my bf does too we just began a month ago but are spending a lot of money and effort for them

BBL92

Sorry about that just so upset about the situation... Glad I did take the research farther

jessakitten

probably just dumb. a lot of people working in pet stores are there for a paycheck and they have NO IDEA what they are dealing with at all. it is hard to find a pet store that is knowledgeable about fish- luckily I have a local store, a salt water local store and a fantastic big box store (petco) near my house I frequent.

BBL92

Lucky for sure it is my only pet shop next one is pretty far and I was scared the fishes would die on the way lol

jessakitten

1 takes me about 45 minutes, and those fish etc do just fine. the salt is about 15-20 minutes ( I was just there last night buying live rock lol) and the petco is 5 minutes- its where I go for freshwater fish and equipment

BBL92

That's not so bad ur lucky u have one 5min away..then again I would probably want every fish there haha its why I make my bf go buy the stuff for them

jessakitten

BBL92, I made him go with me last night to get a new fish...hes gorgeous. and I now have a fish next to my side of the bed. His name is Midna- from Zelda Twilight Princess. I don't care hes a boy with a girl name. LOL

BBL92

Sweet I have my tank in my room too with those two I names them Gizmo from the gremlins lol and Bagheera like in the jungle book haha my bf has a bigger tank downstairs but no names for his lol

Kenny777

JesseMoreira06 I have a question, do goldfish do better in their own species or can they be mixed? Like 2 Orandas 2 Black Moors and 2 telescope? Or should it be only 6 Orandas or black moors?

Thegolden fish

I feel they can be mixed depending on their temperament

Kenny777

I feel they can be mixed depending on their temperament
No they aren't aggressive at all you can hand feed them as Well! They are so cool!

Thegolden fish

really? I heard from a person that they can be hostile towards other fancies thank god I know that now

That they are friendly

JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 I have a question, do goldfish do better in their own species or can they be mixed? Like 2 Orandas 2 Black Moors and 2 telescope? Or should it be only 6 Orandas or black moors?

not all species should be mixed for surten reason.

Bubble eye, Telescope and Celetials should be in species only tanks , they have hard time seeing where things are and hard time with food as well because of their eyes. They would easily be out competed for food by other Fancy Goldfish.

Black Moore , Orandas , Lionheads, fantail , veiltail ect..will all do fine together.

Goldfish are very peaceful , Ryukins tend to be the more "aggressive" out of the bunch.

Kenny777

Bubble eye, Telescope and Celetials should be in species only tanks , they have hard time seeing where things are and hard time with food as well because of their eyes. They would easily be out competed for food by other Fancy Goldfish.

Black Moore , Orandas , Lionheads, fantail , veiltail ect..will all do fine together.

Goldfish are very peaceful , Ryukins tend to be the most "aggressive" out of the bunch.
Good to know thanks!

FishFish221

Goldfish are very peaceful , Ryukins tend to be the more "aggressive" out of the bunch.
They are also all one species, Carassius auratus.

JesseMoreira06

They are also all one species, Carassius auratus.

Your right , What I should have said was not all breeds.

Kenny777

JesseMoreira06 in a 125g pond do you think
6 Fancy Goldfish
3 Golden Dojo Loaches
Would this work if so Thegolden fish would love this unless the OP hates bottom feeders

KawaiiKingyo

I've never had a problem mixing breeds, but I've only had oranda, ranchu, and telescope together. Never had celestials or bubble eyes. but I would agree those should probably be kept to breed only tanks.

tunafax

There is no problem mixing unless you get into the uglies like bubble eye, or fats like pearlscale.

A short-tail common Ryukin (not to be confused with high back ryukin) will always out-compete any other variety of goldfish for food because they are the least "deformed" out of the bunch and can still get around more or less normally - but not by too much, so it's fine.

Any long variety, even double-tailed wakins, shouldn't be mixed with fancies because they will out-compete, and the fancies will starve.

Arcadia

Hi! My name is Arcadia and I am new to the forum. I currently have 3 healthy freshwater fish tanks, and am looking to expand my collection. I would love to have a fancy goldfish tank, and was wondering a few questions to begin my research.

How many gallons should each goldfish have?

Is there a minimum number of goldfish that should be kept together?

What is a good tank size for 2-3 goldfish, and is that an appropriate number to keep?

What is the recommended beginner breed?

Are there any breeds that cannot be kept together?

Thanks, and have a great day!

Crispii

1. Fancy goldfish need a minimum size of at least 30 gallon.

2. I would say the minimum number of goldfish that should be kept is two, since I heard that goldfish are social animals.

3. A 40-50 gallon is a good size if you want to keep at least three goldfish.

4. Orandas and ryukins are good beginner breeds.

5. Don't mix fancies with single-tailed goldfish (common, shubunkin, and comets).

Fishproblem

I would mostly agree with CrispiI , but say that a 30 gallon can get tight even for one full grown fancy goldfish.

Edit: I say this having a 30 gallon community tank, and knowing full grown fancy goldfish. Never tried to keep them myself.

Arcadia

Thanks for the answers! If I wanted to keep a pair of goldfish, would a 35 gallon tanks work, or would I need something slightly bigger? Also, can I keep snails or other “cleaning crew” animals with goldfish?

Crispii

I would mostly agree with CrispiI , but say that a 30 gallon can get tight even for one full grown fancy goldfish.

Edit: I say this having a 30 gallon community tank, and knowing full grown fancy goldfish. Never tried to keep them myself.
Of course bigger is better.

Thanks for the answers! If I wanted to keep a pair of goldfish, would a 35 gallon tanks work, or would I need something slightly bigger? Also, can I keep snails or other “cleaning crew” animals with goldfish?
Honestly, just get a 40 breeder. It will make things a lot easier than a 35.

Fishproblem

LARGE snails. Like gravel, your goldfish will try to suck them up, and they pose a heck of choking hazard.

Crispii

LARGE snails. Like gravel, your goldfish will try to suck them up, and they pose a heck of choking hazard.
Bare bottom would be better than substrate. Not only that, but it's cheaper!

goldface

Generally, 20 gallon for one, then 10 gallon each thereafter. So 40 gallon should be fine for 3.

Now as far as numbers, what many people don't know or tell you is that goldfish are shoaling fish. They are ancestors of the gibel carp. That said, 3 is perfectly fine.

Crispii

I've seen Solid Gold Aquatics used nerite snails in her goldfish tank.

Arcadia

Ok perfect! Thanks for the help everyone! I love watching Solid Gold Aquatics too, I will make sure to check out some of her videos regarding snails in her goldfish tanks.

Crispii

Ok perfect! Thanks for the help everyone! I love watching Solid Gold Aquatics too, I will make sure to check out some of her videos regarding snails in her goldfish tanks.

goldface

I kept Japanese Trapdoor Snails with mine for algae removal. Worked out perfectly fine. You'll probably find them at your local pond supplier for fairly cheap.

Skavatar

a 40 gallon breeder is fine for 3 fancy goldfish. its wide and not too tall, lots of surface area for gas exchange and a wider footprint for the goldfish to swim as opposed to a more narrow and taller 55 gallon.

most of the fancies are fine, fantail, oranda, ranchu, ryukin. black moors are ok, but I don't care for the eyes sticking out. and definitely stay away from the bubble eyes and celestials.

Arcadia

Ok great! I will definitely research these guys really well, but thank you all for the basic info! I will also look into the Japanese Trapdoor Snails. And thank you CrispiI for finding that video for me.

happyscrub

Goldfish don't need large tanks. They only need large tanks to get large. Small tanks stun their growth but it doesn't effect their health. There is a LOT of myths about gold fish.

I was planning to make a post about this but been so lazy. But here's something to think about.

All the record holders for the oldest goldfish are small in small tanks living close to 40 years.

Fishproblem

Goldfish don't need large tanks. They only need large tanks to get large. Small tanks stun their growth but it doesn't effect their health. There is a LOT of myths about gold fish.

I was planning to make a post about this but been so lazy. But here's something to think about.

All the record holders for the oldest goldfish are small in small tanks living close to 40 years.
In what way are goldfish different from every other animal, in that stunted growth is not a health concern?

Crispii

Sounds like animal abuse to me.

GillCintonsMom

1. Fancy goldfish need a minimum size of at least 30 gallon.

2. I would say the minimum number of goldfish that should be kept is two, since I heard that goldfish are social animals.

3. A 40-50 gallon is a good size if you want to keep at least three goldfish.

4. Orandas and ryukins are good beginner breeds.

5. Don't mix fancies with single-tailed goldfish (common, shubunkin, and comets).

Why don't you want to mix fancies with single-tailed goldfish?

Crispii

Single-tailed goldfish can out compete fancies for food. I also heard that single-tails can nip the caudal fins of fancies.

Also, what does lifespan got to do with tank size?

GillCintonsMom

Single-tailed goldfish can out compete fancies for food. I also heard that single-tails can nip the caudal fins of fancies.
Ah, thank you! Learn something new every day

Cognac82

I have to disagree with this. I am a fancy goldfish keeper and I have seen the effects of keeping them in small tanks. I just adopted five goldfish from a person that died and her fish are unbelievably unhealthy because they were in a 20 gallon tank with tropical fish and a common pleco. Their bodies show the signs of barely surviving. They have curved spines from the stunting and have suffered issues from this with their swim bladders. Their overall appearance is dull and they are missing some scales, as well as having curved gill plates from past ammonia poisoning. Once they were removed from this environment they immediately began improving, with their split tail fins and dull appearance improving. They produce so much waste that it's absurd to say that you can keep them in a small tank and expect to have good health. You will have to change water continuously, or the nitrates will be sky high, if you actually have a cycle going. Otherwise you're going to have major issues with ammonia and nitrites. It's like keeping a hippo in an airline seat. If you've ever seen a hippopotamus defecate, you'll understand. There's a difference between what is possible and what is best for the animal you're keeping. My new group will be getting their own 75 gallon tank. Right now they're in a huge tote with a filter and I change almost all of the water every other day. Even then, the nitrates are sky high before water changes.

My four original fancy goldfish and nine white clouds are in a 75 gallon tank with a sump and an additional hob filter. I do 50-90% water changes at least once a week. I vacuum the gravel extensively each time I change water and it's a mess each time. They are the biggest waste producers you'd ever see. A truly happy group of goldfish will spawn in the tank, and you'd never see them reach their full potential in a bowl or small tank.
That being said OP, I recommend buying fish from a reputable source, as goldfish are heavily parasitized and frequently in poor health. A prophylactic course of praziquantel is never a bad idea, either. I have nine tanks, and they're probably still my favorite fish. Post pics when you get them!

Arcadia

Thanks for the additional information. I will definitely look into praziquantel too! I will definitely post a picture when the fishies come home. It will probably be a few months though, as I still have lots of research to do, and setting up the tank takes a while

TheeLadyG

Hey! I have 2 fancies in a 75G tank and plan to get a 3rd fish at some point. I have coarse sand in the bottom (black diamond blasting sand), only about an inch. My fish LOVE filtering the sand for bits, I think it's a very enriching thing for them. It also catches junk until I do my weekly cleaning. Seeing them glide around in all that swimming space is a real treat; even my big finned girl can get good momentum if she wants. I think of my tank as their playroom and give an environment that stimulates their natural behaviors of foraging and exploration. It's very rewarding and I have super friendly, laid back fish who love people and are always out and about!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
goplecos
  • Chlorophyll.And.Light
  • Goldfish
Replies
Views
Chlorophyll.And.Light
Replies
Views
BottomDweller